ACPS Cancelled: another kick in the teeth

Remind us what a 19 year old can do but an 18 year old can’t?

a 19 year old can apply to be a CFAV…??

1 Like

What a joke - so now cadets 12-18 can just look forward to a bit of VR and a token flight in a Tutor or Viking in their lucky. How many cadets stay on past 18. Whilst now 16 for gliding schols and 17 for ACPS

This news should have been announced properly not buried on a new website :frowning:

So can an 18 year old in CCF

20 isn’t it for CFAV?

Also has as much relevance to ACPS as the cost of pet food surely?

Which is good in the fact that they can, but a PIAT in regard they will be lost to us the following year so we don’t get the recruitment and retention benefit from their experience. Hey-ho.

2 Likes

2 Likes

the youngest a CFAV can be is 20

but a 19 year old Cadet can apply for CFAV ahead of their timing out so upon reaching their 20th birthday then can continue without break rather than aging out, then starting the CFAV application process
(this isn’t to say that at the age of 19years 1 day the application should start, and is perhaps best until 19years 6 months accepting that the process could be completed early and so “ahead of time” for their allowing for continued attendance )

1 Like

Look at this guy with the optimism that a new member of staff can be appointed in less than 6 months…

As for the topic of the thread, just another inevitability of an organisation that wants nothing to do with flying. We’ve had to competent rewrite our presentation to new cadets - if we gave them the HQAC spiel we’d simply be lying.

I see the error - but it can stand haha

1 Like

Sorry I might be missing something, but how is that relevant to ACPS?

I had one before Christmas, first visit to being fully appointed with Service Number by HQ… 1 month exactly!

It isn’t, you asked a facetious comment and are getting a reply to it.

2 Likes

Just been confirmed to me that its 18+ only for the ACPS with immediate effect.
What is happening to the cadets who are 16-18 and already loaded onto a course?

Binned no doubt, without a thought :man_shrugging:t2:

Of course. No one could possibly have seen this coming and done something about it. Nope. You can’t have safeguarding risks if you don’t have vulnerable people.

At this stage just bin off the programme altogether. How many over 18s do we even have after Covid to apply?

And why the hell would you make this decision after starting the application process for the next one, when hundreds of 16-18 year olds will have spent days applying, doing selection testing, getting their hopes up, having CFAV support them in writing a statement, then writing their own citation.

What a load of absolute turd. I’m really, really angry that these charlatans are allowed to continue to run down this organisation.

6 Likes

Here’s a radical idea. Why couldn’t we have CFAV staff the courses too, like on camps? Have them attend, claim VA, maybe do a bit of flying themselves. They can then chaperone the 16-18 year olds and everyone wins.

9 Likes

My WAvnO is following up with those underage for ACPS and those selected with additional development and major signposting to other scholarships. For those selected they will be doing additional simulator training to maximise their opportunity to go solo at ACPS. Current solo rates are below 25% some of this is due to weather etc. but seems a lot get allocated a slot and do nothing to prep ahead of it so just get 12 hours of flying.

2 Likes

Do what they do at QAIC selection and give them a 30min glider slot…

what kind of prep is expected ahead of ACPS? (or do you just mean simulator time using Flight SimX?)

I thought it was supposed to be a stepping stone for Cadets…if they are expected to be creating opportunities themselves ahead of ACPS is that really a level playing field given the cost of aviation opportunities and indeed the proximity of those opportunities for some.

I am certain for some ACPS candidates the ACPS is the best chance they have of getting any real time in a light aircraft and solo…yet if it is more than Flight Sim time then is there a failing in the ACPS teaching if they cannot take beginners and get them to solo Standard?

our VGS staff are capable of it…

2 Likes