ACPS Cancelled: another kick in the teeth

Do they take up people in the rear seats?

Also isnt that slightly different as its being run under civi rules by a civi club.

I didn’t think they wore rigs at Tayside as it’s Civvy and therefore doesn’t waste time with such AEF rubbish.

Yes that’s what I meant, hence why no parachutes shouldn’t be an issue

I’ve seen it happen a few times. CAA rules, yes, but each pilot and the school is approved by 2FTS

At the risk of thread drift, grounded worldwide. Service bulletin is not in the public domain as yet…

Has certainly been seen and discussed around these parts of the Internet, though.

But yeah… [/thread drift]

So ACPS age limit changed - even less opportunities for cadets to get scholarships.

That coupled with the change meaning if you’ve completed an Gliding Scholarship youre not elligible for ACPS.

Couldn’t that be considered a good thing? Means more Cadets can get the opportunity to do one or the other. Better to have two cadets with one set of wings than a select few LLC wannabes/Dacre Sword hopefuls with both wings.

2 Likes

Have you got a link for this change or is the ACTO still extant?

Tbf, i see both sides of it, yes it means that some cadets don’t get all the opportunities.

But on the otherside, a GS can provide that spark, that first step on the ladder to to believe a career is achievable and allow them to set the foundations of the skills required on ACPS meaning a better success rate.

:arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up:

Exactly that for me (albeit a looooong time), a GS awarded first, & later on ACPS (or rather the equivalent scheme then - 30 hrs of flying!).

2 Likes

What? Where’s this? I’ve just written up recommendations for a few 16 year olds

Well, as per criteria from our Wg Av O, that should be fine:

Applicants should meet the following criteria:

**Be 16 years old on/or before the course commences.**

Hold, or be predicted to pass, GCSE Grade C (grade 4 or 5 with effect from Aug 17)

or above in English Language and Mathematics, or the equivalent in SCE. A BTEC

in Aviation Studies is an acceptable alternative for the mathematics qualification.

Staff are asked to consider the Cadet’s interest in aviation, motivation, past

achievements and their ability to follow instruction when completing references.

Have their parent’s or guardian’s written permission to attend the course if under the

age of 18 at time of application.

Be able to attend for a continuous residential period of up to 14 days.

Be an enrolled member of the ATC or CCF (RAF) until training is completed.

Fully understand the privilege of being awarded a Scholarship, including the cost to

the RAFAC, commitment to completion, and ramifications of withdrawal post selection.
1 Like

Exactly so whats changed @Victor_Zulu ?

From what he’s said it’s an upper age limit?

Well this is on the new RAFAC website.

A very easy and quick win to reduce costs, to make it only possible for the few and not the many. Another kick in the teeth for this allegedly aviation based organisation.

AGE REQUIREMENTS

Cadets can join from age 13, or age 12 if they are currently in year 8 at school. For some activities such as flying, cadets must be over 13 years of age. For other activities like scholarships, cadets must be 19 years old.

So they are going ATC only then? Time to relook at rebadging our unit to Army and affiliating to the AAC

This isn’t a thing. This is an error

3 Likes

Remind us what a 19 year old can do but an 18 year old can’t?

a 19 year old can apply to be a CFAV…??

1 Like

What a joke - so now cadets 12-18 can just look forward to a bit of VR and a token flight in a Tutor or Viking in their lucky. How many cadets stay on past 18. Whilst now 16 for gliding schols and 17 for ACPS

This news should have been announced properly not buried on a new website :frowning: