ACPS 2021 Applications

Not instructors, teaching CPL, as far as I know…
Happy to be proven wrong.

Ppl or ppl inst yes… but then again that’s hobby or sport flying. So although someones job, its non essential.

Please read the Flyer link; whilst not “essential” as defined in the Corona Legislation per se, in terms of safety / costs / currency, etc, there are valid reasons to be flying a private aircraft in lockdown = need to renew the medical. It’s nowhere near the same as not driving your car for a while.

1 Like

Please show me where the Coronavirus says that medical appointments can only be for ‘essential purposes’ - In fact I’ll save you a job - It doesn’t.

I know some people who have PPLs who use their aircraft for business, just as they might drive a car; that’s allowed and therefore they should be allowed a medical.

A family member attended a medical last week in connection with equine eventing - it’s her hobby. There was no suggestion that British Equestrian would report her for doing so!

1 Like

That’s interesting because AMEs were following guidance from the CAA regarding essential medical appointments.

I see on their website that the ‘mighty’ CAA have now retracted that guidance as incorrect however.

As for the level of medical for instructing CPLs if someone knows that definitively, I would be interested.

So the basic FI course to teach PPL (not the single aircraft type once you 300 hrs jobby where you can’t send them solo or what ever) you require a CPL to even attend the flying instructors course… So based on that a class 1 as that’s the basic FI course before any bolt ons such as night, instrument etc

Whilst i believe your initial point is in reference to a CRI class rating instructor - this is the course effective to train license holders looking to renew/revalidate their licenses.

Your 2nd point is incorrect, You can do an FI course even whilst holding only a PPL - you will however only be able to teach up to the LAPL level. UNLESS…

You are a PPL license holder with an FI(A), you can instruct up to PPL if you have passed your CPL/ATPL theory exams

Once you have completed 200 instructional hours you can apply to the CAA to qualify as a CPL instructor.

I will revert back tomorrow if you need to maintain your class 1 medical to teach CPL. (Whilst I have the CPL instructor derestriction I’ve never asked the question as I previously mentioned I keep the Class 1 medical current iregardless)

Regardless of other candidates, I think the word of the year for 2020 should be ‘essential’.

So much of life appears to hinge on that one innocuous word.