ACPNTS

Hi all,

I’m just looking for any information on the Air Cadet Pilot Navigation Training Scheme.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Ask your Aerospace Officer for details from ACTO36:

In short:

The Air Cadets Pilot Navigation Training Scheme (ACPNTS) provides 8 hours flying training at an RAF Air Experience Flight (AEF). This course does not include solo flight, but does expose the student to aspects of applied service flying and navigation.

ELIGIBILITY

To be eligible for the Schemes a cadet must:

Be a minimum of 17½ years of age at time of application. Cadets must be 18 years of age or above and hold a current RAFAC DBS at the time of start of training. Due to Tutor noise exposure restrictions cadets will only be able to undertake a maximum of 4hrs flying training in a 7-day period.

b. Hold, or be predicted to pass, GCSE Grade C (grade 4 or 5 with effect from Aug 17) or above in English Language and Mathematics, or the equivalent in SCE. A BTEC in Aviation Studies is an acceptable alternative for the Mathematics qualification.

For ACPNTS only, have passed the Air Navigation examination or be assessed to be able to pass the examination during the ACPNTS (with tuition by AEF instructors).

d. Have their parent’s or guardian’s written consent if under 18 years of age at the time of application.

e. Be able commute to an AEF location to complete the course objectives.

f. Cover the Cadet Contribution to Messing as directed by HQ RAFAC.

g. Fully understand the privilege of being awarded an ACPNTS, including the cost to the RAFAC, commitment to completion, and ramifications of withdrawal post selection

h. Be an enrolled member of the ATC or CCF (RAF) until training is completed.

ATC Cadets may apply at any time using the application proforma (2FTS Form 010).

1 Like

Thankyou, I have also heard you need to have completed a gliding scholarship. Is this still the case or has it changed?

The eligibility is exactly as stated, gliding scholarship is not specified (& this would significantly limit the number of cadets due to the gliding “pause” / lack of gliding).

1 Like

I can only speak about the Region I am in but in our case each Wing asks for applications from squadrons around August/September time for all the RAFAC scholarships (Pilot (ACPS) , AEF and Navigation). Each Wing then has a selection process (either paper or practical) to select candidates for the Regional selection process.

The Region then holds a selection weekend where all the Wing nominated cadets carry out a number of tasks including flight simulator, interviews, maths tests, group discussions, etc. and a short list of cadets is made based on the results of these tasks. (The Regional selection weekend is normally held in October or November each year.)

The final selections for each scholarship are made after HQ RAFAC release the allocations to each Region which is normally in December or January.

The minimum age for the ACPS is 16 and for AEF and Navigation scholarships it is 18 at the start of training.)

Other Regions may do it differently.

1 Like

All well & good, but way over the top compared to the guidance listed in ACTO36 - & if one region is doing it, why not the others?

The ACTO also says that “Selection is made throughout the year…” which clearly is not the case here.

With the RAF no longer training Navigators, the future for this course may not be assured. I’d watch out for the next round of applications carefully.

1 Like

Eh, on what basis? If they are not, then the purchase of the Phenom jet trainers will be rather embarrassing.

Still recruiting for WSO.

g. Fully understand the privilege of being awarded an ACPNTS, including the cost to the RAFAC, commitment to completion, and ramifications of withdrawal post selection

If they left post selection why would this even be a concern to the individual. The age range is a particularly volatile one where priorities change overnight.

The HQAC chop and change things without any concern to the individual(s).

I wonder what the ramifications might be…

a reason to backout would be pretty serious, not just anyone gets a place on these - it tends to be the commited, impressive Cadets who deserve it because they do well and appreciate the opportunity that is being offered to them.

if one of the Cadets I know who has gone along on the course backed out I would expect it to be either reason to walk away from the Corps entirely or be an understandable, unavoidable change in circumstance which would be worked around…

What about the ramifications to the wider cadet family in a late withdrawal? A lost space which could have gone to someone else, money wasted etc.

The thing is crap happens and ultimately this is just a hobby. To put that degree of pressure on someone, as a time in their lives which is a lot of pressure from things that do make a difference and affect their lives for decades to come, is a bit unfair.
They can apply and go through the process when all is fine, then at the time of the course, things aren’t. Blimey we all say we are going to do something, then at the last minute real life chucks a spanner in the works and we can’t.

I did the ACPNTS Course myself, if you would like more information about my experience, pm me.

1 Like

Pm’d you