ACF instructors

Yes.

If you have the time to support both the RAFAC & ACF and the room to store the extra uniform and change the badging etc. as appropriate.

In the same way you can be RAF Reserves and a full RAFAC CFAV.

An external instructor should not be the RAFAC Activity IC so that to me is a moot point. If I was taking some cadets to an ACF exercise I’d be the RAFAC Activity IC for that Activity.

When you take your cadets to the local climbing centre, do you get the Centre Manager set up on SMS so they can be the Activity IC or is that you who is taking them?

I’ve always puzzled over that one.

The abbreviation for Wing is Wg; for Commander is Cdr; for Squadron is Sqn; for Flight is Flt. All of those are faithfully recreated in the rank abbreviations. (See also Group, Captain, Commodore.)

I don’t really understand why FS isn’t Flt Sgt.

2 Likes

when I was a cdt it was (at least, in my Wing / Region, even if not officially). When I later became staff in a different part of the UK it took me a long time for me to change my muscle memory!

2 Likes

You do still encounter those using the very much older abbreviations like P/O, F/O &c despite them having been out of use for decades.

FS does seem to be the most commonly messed up of all.

seconded thanks for controlling the rumour but…

Why is it not happening?

because it isn’t wanted/seen to be no need? - it would appear that there is simplicity in it, and does seem odd that we’re all doing the same thing yet have two systems to manage it (although appreciate this is no real difference to the parent services - so why should the Cadet Forces be any different!)

1 Like

The whole reason that Bader was designed was that we as an organisation didn’t see Westminster as fit for purpose, so not sure what’s changed.

Because, historically, that’s what the RAF has done (and continues to do). When I received my original Commission as a University Cadet it was as an Acting Pilot Officer and I was referred to as ‘APO’ for nearly 3 years (until I qualified for my BSc).

Even today the RAF refers to Acting Pilot Officers on UASs as 'APO’s.

WRT to RAFAC personnel working with the ACF, well it will depend upon your qualifications {SA(SR)07, SA(LR)07, SA(M)07, SAAI (Cdt) and so forth}.

I have regularly acted as RCO for ACF Range Days as well as ECO for ACF FIELDEXs.

I’m a RAFAC officer with the ATC and was recently offered the job of Instructor running a school ACF Linked Detachment under the CEP. I didn’t end up taking the role but did ask if I would need to formally join the ACF or go through their adult staff training process. I was told my current rank could carry across and I could take up post in RAFAC uniform. Strange scenario and still not 100% sure if HQAC would have allowed it.

MB

1 Like

Would have been worth it though, to see their faces as you turned up to a range or fieldcraft session in No1s. Deckchair, Mae West and gramophone optional.

6 Likes

Sorry, not prepared to have that discussion on an open forum.

Happy to provide a more detailed response to an authorised Bader user - you can find me in the global address list by searching for oc.vsdt.

The phrase… “because they’re not stupid and the bader suite of apps is better than Westminster and only getting better” comes to mind!

Pure speculation of course.

1 Like

APO is not a thing in the SSC, it’s PPO apparently as they are probationary until all the training is completed.

Not disputing directly as i can’t find a link to official source. A quick google search + twitter & Facebook, shows APO to be the more common & our local sea cadets (& capt sea cadets when I met him once) used APO.

I will ask them when I next speak but it might have been they tried using PPO, everyone still kept using APO so the went back to it as it meant the same thing.

Still not the correct abbreviation for acting Pilot Officer

Unless it has changed very recently that’s not quite the case.

Ex-Cadet Senior Rates can direct entry to Probationary Petty Officer (PPO) in uniform. Brand new instructors become Probationary CI in civies.
Both then have to complete the equivalent to AVIP and serve 6 months probation.

After those 6 months and completed course they both progress to Acting Petty Officer (APO).

Then they start on the modular training (Drill, Instructional Methods, Youth Development, Seamanship). They must also complete a Basic Leadership Course and a minimum of 12 months in uniform, after which they can be appointed as a substantive Petty Officer.

The probationary ranks are literally just whilst they serve their probation and it’s just that those ex cadets are automatically granted uniformed rank instead of CI.
The PPOs therefore have at least a 6 month lead ahead of those starting as PCIs in the required 12 months of uniformed service for substantive rank

1 Like

My partner is a PPO and although new to the SCC is not aware of an APO rank. Saying that she says they do get referred to as APO erroneously

Appreciate we are are starting to go a little off topic but I have managed to find an image source now.

As stated above it looks like PPO & APO are both used. My partner is also SCC so I’ll ask but Locally we only have APOs and no PPOs.

Re the topic in hand (one service CFAV volunteering with another) it would be good to have a system to formally register this without full re-enlisting. It then means we can then utilise other services for things like minibus drivers, first aid, ratio and female cover if needed. It just gives us more flexibility as an organisation with minor admin.

1 Like

as I understand it, the ACF have totally removed specific ratios for gender cover for most activities

Nicely worded.

No APO sorry, just putting it out there.

Back to the point, I’ve only heard of people going from one cadet force to another. Let’s face it it’s a big commitment just being in the one organisation!

1 Like