Access to Sqn building

…in England…

1 Like

I suppose that they’re now worried that after a long period of being unoccupied without heat or ventilation, issues such black mould, damp, water leaks, structural degradation (many of our buildings are timber framed huts of course) may have cropped up, unnoticed and unchecked.

The minimising risk in the early days of this would have related to picking the germ up from a surface, based on the variously suggested maximum life expectancy of the virus was a few days on surfaces like we find in hut, so unless the ATC has its own strain, these risks are now non-existent.

You can buy proprietary sprays etc for moulds which shouldn’t be beyond the scope of the average member of staff to do.

Yes, in England… If other areas of the UK have their own devolved decision makers which come up with different rules the solution is simple… apply the local rules with common sense.

An organisation doesn’t need to have blanket rules if different nations within the UK governments have different requirements.

HQAC can say we are happy for XYZ - then regions can pass the advise on interpreting local laws for what individual wings can or can’t do…

Please just keep it to devolved govt decisions and not give regions their chance to add their nonsense

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear!

I meant: for what reason reason, I do not know

I agree that such things may have cropped up, but historically, RFCA have been happy to rely on CFAV to carry out those inspections on their behalf. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve never been totally happy with being expected to carry out inspections without any issued guidance or training (or resources to fix any issues flagged up by my untrained eye, but that is another issue…), but why we are suddenly not allowed make our own decision as to whether we it’s safe to parade or not? It’s the one time that being the “Building Manager” might actually benefit us at squadron level!!!

Let’s not over inflate the risk of damage too much - we are, after all, only meant to to occupy the buildings for around 20 hours out of every 168 anyway. Plus, it’s not like there will be any invasive structural surveys carried out, or NDT.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve written, and I think we’re trying to make the same point tbh :slight_smile:

That’s entirely likely.
You’ll find that much of my writing is intended for the wider audience rather than as a specific retort to any one person. :slight_smile: