ACC Update and Review

I think we need to move some of the forums under the cadet heading into a general area. Have staff headings for Execs, staff mess (where we can relax rules a bit) and JRM for cdts,then training, drill, uniform etc under an all ranks area.

What do you think to this?

[code]Usage policy & introductions
Read this first, then say Hi!

Cadet Area

Junior Ranks' Mess
For general discussion between cadets.
Staff not to post (self-regulated).

Question and Answer
For cadets to ask questions that other cadets or staff can answer.
Tone is strictly regulated.

Staff

Execs	
For staff to discuss formal and serious issues/changes within the ACO.

Staff Development
For discussion of courses, qualifications, appointments/commissions, etc.

Mixed

Cadet Development
For training-related discussion.

The Mess
For general discussion of ACO business, open to cadets and staff.

Non-ACO Discussion
For discussion of TV/film/music, and anything else.

ACC Site Feedback
For ACC-related discussion.[/code]

Some of my proposed names are terrible, and shouldn’t be used, but hopefully they get the point across for now.

How do we know who’s a cadet and who’s staff? Just playing devil’s advocate. (Aside from the usual obvious spelling and grammar issues.)

Hey, how did the GMG thread end up in the cadet mess?

That’s clearly a thread from grumpy, old, cantankerous staff!

and if using the “recent topics” tool, i wont be looking at where the thread has been posted…it would need a clear indication (background?)…i dont think self regualtion woudl work myself

[quote=“steve679” post=9877]and if using the “recent topics” tool, i wont be looking at where the thread has been posted…it would need a clear indication (background?)…i dont think self regualtion woudl work myself[/quote]Agreed - I too would be unlikely to realise that an area was cadet-only unless there was a really obvious indicator or a warning.

What do you think to this?

[code]Usage policy & introductions
Read this first, then say Hi!

Cadet Area

Junior Ranks' Mess
For general discussion between cadets.
Staff not to post (self-regulated).

Question and Answer
For cadets to ask questions that other cadets or staff can answer.
Tone is strictly regulated.

Staff

Execs	
For staff to discuss formal and serious issues/changes within the ACO.

Staff Development
For discussion of courses, qualifications, appointments/commissions, etc.

Mixed

Cadet Development
For training-related discussion.

The Mess
For general discussion of ACO business, open to cadets and staff.

Non-ACO Discussion
For discussion of TV/film/music, and anything else.

ACC Site Feedback
For ACC-related discussion.[/code]

Some of my proposed names are terrible, and shouldn’t be used, but hopefully they get the point across for now.[/quote]

That looks more like what I’d imagined! But the cadet development should just be about training in general IMO, then we can discuss flying, gliding, shooting etc.

I like it though!

and if using the “recent topics” tool, i wont be looking at where the thread has been posted…it would need a clear indication (background?)…i dont think self regualtion woudl work myself[/quote]
Hm. Maybe a custom field could be added to people’s profiles (in a similar manner to the old ‘Corps’ indicator on the old forum).

Depending on what the custom field was set to (cadet / CFAV / ATC / VR(T) etc.), posting could be allowed in different forums.

and if using the “recent topics” tool, i wont be looking at where the thread has been posted…it would need a clear indication (background?)…i dont think self regualtion woudl work myself[/quote]
Hm. Maybe a custom field could be added to people’s profiles (in a similar manner to the old ‘Corps’ indicator on the old forum).

Depending on what the custom field was set to (cadet / CFAV / ATC / VR(T) etc.), posting could be allowed in different forums.[/quote]

Good idea. (Actually, this would help in other ways, so that we could know if people are from other organisations.) Although, difficult to police.

I do note that FlagO has “RN” in his profile, which box did he type in for that to appear?

Ooh, just tried it - Edit Profile - Personal Text (appears as ‘About me’). Just need to think of something to put now…

OK, a further little re-shuffle,

how is that looking?

The structure’s good, but I think a bit of thought as to where the extant threads have ended up is needed!

absolutely - your thoughts? all?

Well, I’m not technically allowed to post on the GMG thread - and that GMG! :slight_smile:

File 13 is the place to be - it’s the underground!

Can you move the ‘report to a Moderator’ button please? If it was central at the bottom of the post then I wouldn’t keep hitting it on touch devices when I try and tap ‘Quote’.

Review time again - I keep doing this, but I think it’s wise to keep it fresh.

But this time more than just the forum.

So far I have:

Opened up the Library so all registered users can upload their files.
Introduced ACC Sites and is growing slowly.
Forum users have been cleaned out.

What else would we like to site to do for us? I was looking at the Guiders site recently, which is well used and have been researching some ideas.

As we now have WordPress in the system are there any ways we can use that system as well???

No ideas are bad ideas (well nearly) so let’s have them!

cheers

DJ

I have LOADS of Aircraft Recognition materials I’d like to share, so can we have a place to upload those to rather than just 1st Class, Leading, Senior and Master. Other sections like Fieldcraft, 1st Aid etc.

I’ll get right on it!

DJ

=== I’ve put some more in there anymore just let me know :slight_smile: ===

I’ve now incorporated News Feeds into the site!

The comments on the news headlines can be made on the forum (Air Cadet News section) and on each article (Resources -> Air Cadet News)

The headlines currently come from the RAF and Air Cadet websites,

which other news sites would you like to see?

cheers,

DJ