ACC Poll

Ladies and Gents,

I need your thoughts on the following:

Should AirCadetCentral:

Stay as it is or change to Discourse (ACC Discourse) ?

All the forum data and threads (apart from PMs) will get transferred to the new system.

Yes, It should either stay as it is or change to Discourse .

On second thoughts:
No - It should be something else instead.

You’re quite right!

badly worded - I need to thin more before I post! … editing! :facepalm:

another reason why I voted to change:

to change the poll options I had to go into the database!!!

I’ve tweaked the beta site to see how it might look:

http://acc.maia-internet.com (Desktop only at the minute)

all Desktop, Tablet and Mobile themes updated on the Discourse!

Cheers

DJ

Next question:

If we move to discourse, should the forum front page be the ‘categories’ view or the ‘latest’ view?

Cheers

I have the ‘Recent’ page as the bookmarked link, and only use the categories if going to create a new thread

Discourse

Thanks,

Can you add your vote at the top please?

Cheers

New option looks fine to me.
If there are issues with the current sw then changing seems sensible.

Discourse looks like a great option.

Depending how you’re set up for deployment, you should be able to open-source the codebase on GitHub too. That way, those of us who are ruby people (don’t know how many there are on here) can submit pull requests for fixes and changes. Is that something you’d consider?

I presume cost means you’re self-hosting rather than using a cloud platform like Heroku?

Feel free to PM for my twitter/github details if you think I can help at all.

[quote=“blu3zirux” post=26324]Discourse looks like a great option.

Depending how you’re set up for deployment, you should be able to open-source the codebase on GitHub too. That way, those of us who are ruby people (don’t know how many there are on here) can submit pull requests for fixes and changes. Is that something you’d consider?

I presume cost means you’re self-hosting rather than using a cloud platform like Heroku?

Feel free to PM for my twitter/github details if you think I can help at all.[/quote]

Hi,

hadn’t thought about that but it might be an option.

The current setup is to have the discourse install running on a separate Digital Ocean droplet - that keeps it separate and clean. Installed using the official beta discourse (v1.4) github repo.

Not sure forking the code down to a second github would be of much use as the discourse devs are happy to look at pull requests and fixes directly into their codebase. It’s happened a few times looking at their site and my work on the kunena importer should be included in a new build soon.

I am keeping the costs down, ACC not being a paid service needs to be costs minimal, but i don’t want to skimp on the features. Digital ocean are a very keenly priced solution with ease of use as well, and we get a full dedicated server instance not just an app.

Dev input for the site is always greatly appreciated, no one is an expert in everything :wink: so having input from many people is always great.

Cheers,

DJ

Further to my last, I’ve had to fork the master discourse branch in order to pull my changes anyway.

The github can be found here:

this is a direct fork of the master discourse github

Cheers

DJ