About turn on the march

Personally I think that’s a very well made instructional video that has aged beautifully!

3 Likes

I was thinking that… Its not bad or wrong like some of the official 818 videos

2 Likes

Stop it you :relaxed:

1 Like

Some of those timings do my head in!!

ONE.........................................lefrigh.......ONE..................
.......................lefrigh......ONE.....

Has the guy ever heard of a metronome?

QCS in it…

Do their own thing

They do a different about turn as well!

I’m surprised that all the DI pace stick cadre haven’t been drooling over this video (an about turn is mentioned :wink: ) - at the end of the clip, port is mentioned as a way to enhance the voice.

An amendment for AP818? :laughing:

1 Like

We’ve no need to publish in print all the details of our secret rites and rituals… :wink:

Brilliant video.

Must admit I had come across that during my search.

I had a virtual presentation to do for a conference a short while back and as well as the normal nerves could feel a bit of a sore throat coming on. Remembering that video and having had some ruby port that I had to raise a glass on Remembrance Day in the house thought I’d see if it helps and it really did relax the throat and helped get me through the presentation :joy:

Love a 6 point about turn

Is it still ‘VLV’ as it were? I know it is frequently changed so…

It hasn’t been ‘TLV’ for years but I’m sure you’ve just triggered some DIs :laughing:

1 Like

I was told that the reason why it’s no longer TLV was due to health & safety.

Tempted to write to commandant air cadets & say that I have H&S concerns regarding our current drill manoeuvres & recommend that we go to slidey foot drill the same as the sea cadets to avoid cdts falling over due to poor balance or ankle stress by excessive stamping

Don’t know how much of a stickler for safety he is though….

2 Likes

I mean this, @grounded. Sorry for any ambiguity in my first post!

1 Like

^ yes, still correct AFAIK.

Emphasis on the “swivel” (check pace) being on the right toe rather than the right heel to avoid broken ankles.

1 Like

SQUAD, BY THE CENTRE…

Sliiide to the left, sliiide to the right, cha cha now y’all, cha cha again!

1 Like

There is credible academic research to back up notion that foot drill is fairly high risk. Perhaps all the more so among cadets whose bones are still growing.

https://napier-repository.worktribe.com/output/2698371/changes-in-ankle-proprioception-and-neuromuscular-function-following-an-acute-bout-of-british-army-foot-drill-implications-of-lower-limb-musculoskeletal-injury-risk

2 Likes

I am an academic tutor for a sixth form group, but at my school that’s much more than that - I’m also a sort of general life mentor.

I always try to drill into them the maxim ‘never ask a question you don’t want to hear the answer to.’

That would have saved, for example, several months of foreign national cadets being banned from AEF (before someone high up saw sense). I’d been avoiding asking that for years, but someone asked…

So ironically, despite my comment being a joke, there is a serious case for swapping to slidy drill.

It’s going to be interesting to watch them deal with that logic bomb….

1 Like