940 Squadron

Our squadron is located on the site of a former Naval Air Station, whilst doing some research on the history of the airfield site I found some pictures of ATC cadets visiting the station dated 1942. They appear to be cadets from 940 Squadron. It doesn’t look like this squadron number is still in use - can anyone shed some light on where they were from?

MB

It’s hard to tell from the badge numbers if it is 940? I can see a 40, but the first number is unclear.

There is a 40F squadron which is Maidstone.

It’s definitely 940, original is better quality.

MB

1 Like

That would be 940 (Cowdenbeath) Squadron. Can’t find a huge amount about them but will post back if I do.

Apparently they came second in a 'Plane Recognition Contest in 1943
In 1950 they are reported as being 941 (Cowdenbeath) here and here

1 Like

That fits with the location as the pictures were taken at RNAS Donibristle (HMS Merlin) in Fife. Can’t view your links as they require a subscription but thanks for digging that out.

MB

Huh, I thought I could link to the news articles, :expressionless:

Screenshot from 2020-09-15 12-45-17

1 Like

That’s interesting as I know a lot of Glasgow units went to local RNAS’s during the same period on camps. 1 sqn went to Macrahanish, where cadets went flying In Fairey Fulmars in the rear gunners seat.
The pilot was being instructed on deck landings onto a carrier based on the Clyde at the time… now that’s proper AEF :joy:

1 Like