75th Anniversary results - what was achieved

following on from the RAF100 discussion i was reminded what we (ACO) achieved in 2016, our 75th year.

Other than 34 different versions of a “Wing” anniversary parade, a torch relay, musical event at Cranwell and a handful of other events there was a “sports/athletics” challenge.

5 elements if i remember:
keepy-upies
planking
throwing
running/shuttle runs
and skipping

we had to submit the “results” of these for the individuals and the Squadrons - dare I ask what ever happened to these results?

i would like to hope there was a results table coming from this, if only by Wing to show where each one sits nationally…of course there will be some who would want to know where individual Squadrons ended up

either way I don’t recall seeing anything post event that came out.
a big push to take part
a reminder to get involved
some event put up social media posts of them taking part…

…but as its “legacy” has been lost

You mean that people actually did that sports/athletics challenge? In my wing we were encouraged to go and do 15 ‘Park runs’, only a handful did that one :rofl:

well we did yes…and I know of others who did but don’t recall any results being shared

We did it as part of a sports night but didn’t make anything of it, as like the whole 75th Anniversary stuff it wasn’t about the cadets it was about people at the top saying look what we’ve done and sliding off for a tipple in the bar. We had parades and so on and like on every parade the cadets and 99% of staff are left standing around waiting to go home. When the stick came our way, it was the staff and cadets having to entertain themselves and try and get excited. I think somewhere in the depths of HQAC someone thought it would be like the Olympic Torch, which I think the original idea was to have a torch but I think the H&S zombies woke up and put pay to that. When the Olympic Torch came our way teenagers carried it as well as adullts

1 Like

I’m sure the results were published possibly via email

They were also on SharePoint. Not sure if they survived the upgrade, though!!

1 Like

Just had a look on my email account, and found the results spreadsheet. It was sent out on the 8/12/2016!

My squadron didn’t come last, which was a result!

1 Like