2024 Activity Changes

I understand from where you are coming from but if we are to meet our “targets” against what we are as an organisation. We are already doing too much with little to no rewards, the Blue, Bronze, Silver, Gold in practically everything going is a very complex system for administration purposes if nothing else. There are over 50 badges in theory you could get during your time in cadets with one replacing the other. The core activities are so broad that we already do too much.

We have successfully delivered DofE for many years and proven to be one of the best organisations out there for providing that. However the aviation theme definitely should be core to what we do with the uniformed aspect still there at the moment but getting organised at top level to deliver a syllabus of valued training should be essential as we don’t just rely on the RAF for funding.

I think you are looking at “the old days” through rose tinted glasses, you only need to look at the old Senior/Staff subjects to see that it was always like that, Advanced Radio & Radar being Exhibit A.

Not as many people made it as I hoped, but the consistent theme emerging was that RAF sections are threatened by concerns over losing cadets (mostly to Army section - some concrete examples cited e.g. losing 6th form NCOs) and losing CFAVs (no longer worth the effort when you can run a different school activity with far less hassle and time commitment, if you’re not going to get VA). A small number of schools looking at even whether the CCF generally is still worth it (the RN has been similarly difficult to run recently, but most schools don’t have an RN section). I suspect there will be a number of heads writing to the Comdt.

2 Likes

surely our targets are simply summarised as

• To promote and encourage among young men and women a practical interest in aviation and the Royal Air Force (RAF);
  • To provide training which will be useful in both the Armed Forces and civilian life;
  • To foster a spirit of adventure and to develop the qualities of leadership and good citizenship.

With a motto of “venture adventure”

the list you offered above ticked those boxes, some more than others, and some only one, others all three.

What “targets” are you referring to?

that is a matter of opinion - the scope of what we do is approved at HQAC - they seem happy that we do a long list of activities as prescribed in ACTO010

what “rewards” are you expecting?

completely agree and there are rumours that this is being scaled back and rationalised

what therefore, in your opinion, should the core activities be reduced to?

1 Like

PS anyone who is in a CCF(RAF) section in SW region should have had the notes from me but if not, please do email me (easy to find)

I was involved in selecting the engineering apprentices for a large aerospace company. On average, we had 45 applicants for every 1 place.
The BTEC in aviation studies ALWAYS got you through the paper sift.

Going forward, a BTEC in space (if that’s what it’s going to be) will not be something we will be looking for.

3 Likes

A bit of flying and gliding would be nice :laughing:

1 Like

I was just talking about this the other night. I remember back when I was a cadet (2001ish) and seeing a cwo having his last parade night. He was badged up, JL, gold DofE, dreams of becoming an RAF officer etc. He went aboard on some overseas exchange and had a great time. Unfortunately he seemed to get all the good camps, it was like a given right as he was the sqn poster boy.

Now let’s jump forward 20 plus years and the same ex cwo, never volunteered as an adult, unfortunately failed on his ambitions within the RAF and now works in retail. Now, not that there is anything wrong with that career path. But it doesn’t seem fair all that time and resources didn’t come to fruition. Wouldn’t it have been better to allow others access to those experiences.

1 Like

There are lots of reasons someone mightn’t make it as an RAF officer, medical reasons being a big one (and out of the person’s control mostly).

Poses an interesting question though, why aren’t they a CFAV?

Maybe they’ve seen the state of the organisation?

4 Likes

Such a cynic

But if they aged out 20 years ago… people on here keep telling me how great it all was then!

I bet it would be really interesting to see whether highly successful cadets go onto have equally successful careers in general, or is it a bubble where most have pretty average careers.

Depends on what’s considered successful I 'spose?

If I look at my Cadet cohort, the 4 of us that rose to the top of our sqn did OK I think.

All late 30’s now

CWO - IACE, Flying Scholarship, Gold DofE. Current RAF FJ Pilot
FS 1 - JL, RIAT Camp Cadet SNCO IC, Gold DofE. C Suite in tech, CFAV
FS 2 - JL, IACE. Army Career, now VP in London Finance Firm
FS 3 - IACE, Gliding Scholarship, Gold DofE. Director in Telecoms company, CFAV

I always felt the system worked at the time, we all put out successes down in considerable part to the skills and experiences gained as Cadets. It’s why 2 of us came back as Officers, although it feels like running uphill in treacle of late.

3 Likes

Ultimately success builds success, the Cadet with a Gold DofE, ACLC, MOI and AFA is going to come across as a better candidate than the Cadet with a Leading badge and a Wing JNCO course. The ones who put themselves out there every weekend will get more than those who didn’t.

Unless the ones who went out every weekend failed their exams because they were doing too much time at cadets.

I’ve interviewed a number of air cadets in day job some of the high achieving ones crumble at interview because they can’t apply they achievement.

On the other hand I remember interviewing a staff cadet Cpl who hadn’t done much in terms in badges but was able to apply her experience really well to the role.

1 Like

:raising_hand_man:

I can’t fully blame cadets, I was just generally bad at time allocations for course work, but during my A-Levels I spent a significant amount of time out doing cadet stuff when I should have been studying.

Even to the point that I was out on an expedition when A-Level results came in, I didn’t do as well as I should have so didn’t get my uni choice, but then didn’t go though clearing because I was in the ■■■■ end of no where.

This meant I never went to uni. So far, this hasn’t really stopped me, but it isn’t ideal given the higher level job roles I set occasionally where a degree is required.

2 Likes

I think it’s a double-edged sword though, i think they’ve gotta get out (even if it’s one weekend a month) to do something except study.

3 Likes

It’s a balancing act, there are some cadets who do well at both of course, the sort who just to well at everything, and those who throw themselves into cadets or sport or similar because academics just aren’t for them.

Can we take this elsewhere and leave this thread for discussion of activity changes?

1 Like

As much as we (CFAVs and cadets) love classroom learning, it’s a nice change to get cold and tired in the field or on the range. That’s what sets us apart from after school clubs.

5 Likes