2023 Dial In - 7 Dec

HQ restructuring…
Yawn…

Unless it involves a 1* post being made availble for tender.

Get out Tony, youre not wanted.

Beware what you wish for?

Rumour mill and one of the meme pages are suggesting that he might be in with a BAE job? Haven’t seen anything to confirm though so take with an exceptionally large grain of salt until we hear more…

1 Like

Predictions for the call:

TK to be moving on mid-2024.

Volunteer allowance down to 10 days.

Restructure of HQAC.

Something on 018 cadets.

Something on what’s claimable on 1771.

Defence of decisions to scale back 2024 for “review”.

Some capability to be lost, maybe around MT or clarity hire.

Some kind of bombshell, number of squadrons to be reduced - maybe by those not in own buildings or joint cadet centres will all be axed - or some other kind of major infra/facilities announcement.

5 Likes

Far more capable and experienced people than him around, plus the RAF is increasing the number of 1*s

2 Likes

His LinkedIn profile changed a little while ago from Chief Executive at RAF Air Cadets to something about being a senior leader and critical thinker…

3 Likes

How on earth would they get away with reducing VA? They pay as it is is diabolical until you get to SO ranks. If they decide to do this a lot will walk.

1 Like

Not your table, I know - but it’s barely an update at all. Virtually no change and with vague statements like ‘Command Board has decided that overseas activity may not be funded in 2024’.

May? That’s not a decision!

Frankly I’d have hoped for a much better progress update than that given it’s been nearly two months since the initial reprofiling video was sent out.

1 Like

Simple. Take it or leave it :rofl:

VA goes down, staff vote on what is delivered, cadets fail to meet the ‘cadet offer’, RAFAC have inform RAF why staff are leaving and cadets not receiving what ComdtAC has promised. :man_shrugging:t2:

Even if it’s halved to 14, who are some SMEs going to cover their AORs. That shooting for example, a SAAI will run out in no time at all. A range a month and a couple of training sessions will blow that.

What about the self-employed, will they do a day for nothing, sorry actually losing money :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

We must remember it is a volunteer org and while I agree a reduction in VA will cut productivity it shouldn’t mean a CFAV doesn’t deliver anything.

Most of the SATT instructors I know deliver well over their 28 days, not one has ever stopped at 28 and then refused to attend courses.

I don’t think it will have as big effect on the org as most expect.

5 Likes

Yes but once i get to my 28 days… usually afyer 7 months…

I think to myself, “ive had a month’s pay, its ok, i will give some for free now.”

If VA is reduced to only 10 or 14 days… forget it. They can Jog on.

I will do my 10 or 14 and thats that.

The corps wont lose the other 14 from me, it will lose about 30, because of the free ones it gets.

That will be replicated im sure across training teams.

Ol tony will get his wish. Off sqn activities will quickly reduce.
Thereby reducing risk.

1 Like

Interesting that full bore shooting is mentioning, but fieldcraft is not.

Reduction in fieldcraft coming (back)?
JL still seems to be a focus, but is there enough joined up thinking to realise prep training is helpful?

Fieldcraft isn’t directly being affected, not sure why it’s been omitted but there are changes afoot that are being discussed in the next command board.

It will of course be indirectly affected by any changes to CFAV availability, costs associated etc.

1 Like

From what I remember SATT instructors can claim up to 50 but have to get approval from HQRAFAC for it.

This mind set that we’ll hemorrhage staff if they reduce VA really doesn’t seem right to me. Will we lose some? Possibly. Will be lose loads? I doubt it.

I know loads of staff who get to their 28 days then… carry on. If it became 10 days, I’m sure they’d do the same. There are many, many charities and organisations with volunteers doing just as much work, without any ‘pay’.

We also already have many staff volunteering without getting any days at all.

Is VA a nice to have, and encourages people to deliver more than maybe they would otherwise? Yes. Will removal of VA kill the organisation? No.

It would be much better if we could all claim 45p/mile, and uniform staff have better access to issue uniform.

5 Likes

Anyone can, not just SATT instructors, there is a process for extra days but the extra days haven’t been given recently.

1 Like

Or some staff, who do the activities, and just don’t claim for everything…:raised_hand:

I do the community events that you can’t claim VA for, activities where you cant put a 1771 in…

For me, the VA is a nice bonus, but its not the drive that keeps me going. However, i understand that I’m not everyone…and others need that to support/enhance their cadet commitment.

Being located in such a rural area, the mileage and VA are necessary for me to be able to afford to take part.

If the mileage was paid at the full 45p, I probably wouldn’t care too much about the VA as it would then help to cover wear & tear to my car as well as the fuel.

3 Likes

The main reason I use it is I don’t get paid holidays, and quite often work over weekends. If it was reduced I’d probably focus on cadet courses and bin off some of the other weekend things we’re asked to do.

1 Like

Big list of activities on hold highlighted in the Weekly Brief.

1 Like