2019 drill and ceremonial camp

Hi all , just wondering if you need have been at cadets for a certain amount of time or need to have any rank or classification to go on this camp

So, no rank requirements. I would suggest that, as a UK blues camp, the normal requirement to be at least First Class will apply.

Cadets selected to attend the camp must hold a current Weapons Handling Test (WHT) on the L98A2 that is valid for the duration of the camp. Applicants should note that due to the physical nature of this camp, they should be both medically and physically fit to participate.

If the selection process is as it has been for the last couple of years, there will be a foot drill assessment by your wing warrant officer to check if you a fumbling nitwit before you are nominated.

I believe they RTU cadets who’s drill is sub standard.

Never have, never will. Stop spreading rumors of things you know nothing of.

1 Like

Only going by what I was told from previous years that’s why is said I believe? as Its a camp I can’t attend (Always falls over the other halfs birthday which would result in death) one day if should fall in a timings that’s suitable

well lesson to take is, ask before telling. And use a handful of salt.

Loose lips, sink sticks.

1 Like

For the record I was informed by a fellow DI who attends D&C when I was asking what it was like after year 1 but oh well let’s leave it at that

Out of interest-

Can someone who hasn’t yet completed OIC attend this camp?

No ive just checked and you have to have completed SSIC/OIC.

1 Like

I too was told the same from one of the instructors in this course. Hence why every cadet who apply from
Our wing are to attend a drill camp selection weekend.

I recognise sticky, that you may not like what you are reading but when it’s happening and it’s being put around by the instructors as fact then you may wish to go to the source and resolve there, not here blaming Alex for repeating what he has been told.

2 Likes

I’ve checked with a couple of my colleagues just to make sure I wasnt imagining stuff and they’ve confirmed they’ve also heard it.

2 Likes

At the D&C camps I have attended, they train cadets whose drill is sub-standard. If they continued to not achieve a good standard, if there was some other issue, or if they were just spare and messed up the “ideal” number in a continuity squad ( :angry: ) they were found light duties as bollards, parade square flags or something else.

1 Like

As one of the instructors and have been since the very beginning at Northolt/Halton camp. I can say it not true, and once again proves the rumor mill

Proves what rumour mill? That the instructors are spreading BS across their wings. When the instructors are spreading the info I wouldn’t call it rumour.

Myself and Alex are at different ends of the country. I would strongly suggest you grab the instructors and have a strong word or 2 with them and bringing back false info to their wings.

1 Like

The threat of being RTUd has been a tool to encourage people to focus since I joined this fine organisation and has been used on many many activities. I have seen it done (at camps) only for medical issues or for severe disciplinary cases. It is more complex to send somebody home from a distant camp from a transport and supervision perspective than it is to keep them there and drag them around. It is better to make sure they are up to snuff before sending them.

Staff are another matter entirely.

Absolutely it is there to be used as a tool for focusing the mind. In this case however I don’t think it is being used this way. It was explained to the STAFF That if cadets are not good enough they will be sent home this isn’t getting a cadet to focus this is saying no substandard cadets allowed and if you send one we will send them home.