2014 Action Plan - Where are we now?

Going through deleting old bits and pieces, I found the 2014 Action Plan. There are some interesting things, but to me it does show a lack of progress 4 years on.

There were some about increasing flying and giding, but it was pre April 2014 and the start of the “gliding pause” and the mess made of 5 AEFs move. Also pre the last round of MOD estate disposals, which has affected flying/gliding.

I don’t remember any investigation into why there are so many complaints.

I also don’t understand how they througt they can address the number of cadets leaving during the exam period and if not, most seem to drift away by the summer of Year 12. I’ve been looking at how to do this locally for the last 5/6 years and I still struggle with it, as it all I seem to come up with are compromises, that move away from regular attendance.

• Improve cooperative working between the ACO and other cadet forces and other uniformed youth groups to mutual benefit, notably through the medium of Youth United.
  • Review the Regional Activity Centre programme to ensure maximum utility and maintenance of high quality equipment to support the aviation syllabus.
  • Improve retention of cadets by focusing on the younger and older cadet age brackets to ensure that attractive activities are available for both whilst addressing the notable exodus at key exam times.
  • Increase the percentage of cadets that complete externally accredited qualifications at all levels including ILM, BTEC and DofE.
  • Set up a bureaucracy reduction delivery team.
  • Eliminate all unnecessary administrative process, reduce the impact of the necessary ones to a minimum, and review delegation of authority to the lowest level possible to streamline administrative processes.
  • Maximise the use of IT to standardise and speed up processes and reduce the burden.
  • Review and revise CFAV TCoS, without demotivating our volunteers, to enhance recruitment and retention and the quality of the adult volunteers across the ACO (part of DYER implementation).
  • Repeat campaigns (bi/tri-annual) to recruit more high quality CFAVs for the ACO.
  • Promote the benefits and skills CFAV develop to the employers of potential and current volunteers, especially those within the Aviation and Defence industries, by developing a CFAV CV.
  • Improve the retention of CFAVs through better communication and consultation, involving them as much as possible in strategic work strands, whilst simultaneously managing expectations.
  • Investigate the reasons for the large number of Service Complaints from CFAVs and encourage resolution at the lowest level possible.
  • Produce and deliver a formal through-life training package for all CFAVs.
  • Review e-learning opportunities for all CFAV training courses.
  • Maximise the mapping of ACO-delivered training to nationally recognised qualifications.
  • Identify learning technology options, quantify benefits of adoption to the ACO and, where appropriate and affordable, implement.
  • Identify present and future funding requirements.
  • Establish level of non-public funding held throughout the Organisation.
  • Prioritise NP funding towards key activities.
  • Explore ways of enhancing non-public fundraising via partnerships and industry sponsorships; e.g. through the Industry Forum.
  • Enhance and support fundraising activities of Civ Comms at sqn level.
  • Identify and deploy high profile ambassadors for the ACO.

Most large companies have community funds and sponsor organisations. The amount can and has been affected by the economic downturn. Squadrons manage to tap into these, so why can’t HQAC seek similar and or discount schemes for squadrons?

1 Like

like with the introduction of the CFC?? and the move to the RAFAC?

goes to show that an “Action Plan” is something someone wants to achieve rather than can achieve

has there been an action plan since? perhaps reviewed and updated?

1 Like

I’m not sure how I came across this originally.
I don’t recall seeing something similar since.

They are admin exercise to show that people are doing something, normally with such long timeframes or no timeframe. At most something like this should be expected to last no longer than 12 months, to retain focus and linked to PMR or whatever people do. Much longer and unless it is a properly structured project, with a team and lead which isn’t going to change, it gets lost as people move onto to different things and or lose interest as they realise they can’t do it and or it’s not going to happen. It also needs to be within the remit of the people doing it to be able to affect what is required.

Much of this thing is written in vague terms and overly ambitious, like every single vision etc we have had since the late 1990s.

2014 action plan??? Please. This edition was far more far fetched - it was practically sci-fi!!!

1 Like

wow…ten years coverage!

the differences we have seen in that time…I wonder how many are listed in that plan??

1 Like

Not sure if I’ve got the detail on that one still.
The problem is these things are written with such long time spans and if you have a new member of the ACMB come along, they are not going to want to pick up someone else’s job or plan, so invent their own to make look like they are doing something. I’ve seen this happen at work, new bloke/bird comes along and new grand plan. We just carry on doing what we do.
If I recall we’ve had 5 or 6 of these in the Corps since 2000, all of which overlap and none of which have ever delivered anything as originally written.

1 Like

One of the problems with these things is when you don’t see any delivery, the next one comes along and immediately you are expecting nothing and so on and so on and eventually becomes a noise similar to the adult voices on the Peanut cartoons. So in effect they become pointless except to those whose salaries depend on them where ever they are.

4 Likes