VR(T) Commission Change

This is why we’ve ended being called the Air Cadet Organisation and then RAF Air Cadets both which I’ve never been happy with. We always referred to ourselves as Air Cadets when talking to people, I’d never say we are RAF Air Cadets and still say the Air Training Corps, so a return to Air Training Corps seems to a sound idea, as long as we have some ‘air training’ to offer!!

Interesting point that the RAF would shrink again with ATC Officers removed from the scenario. I wonder what the cut off is for the RAF’s strength to make it viable as a stand alone organisation? As this would have a huge bearing on the viability of the ATC.

Well the 100 year experiment is almost at an end :rolling_eyes:

Will be interesting if they still count the VA into the 2% of GDP for NATO spending levels.

Names, names.

Common denominator is “Cadet Forces” so it is logical: Cadet Forces Commission, into: Army Cadet Force (ACF); Combined Cadet Force (CCF); RAF Cadet Force (RAFCF); RN Cadet Force (RNCF.

May actually save a few quid, all of us wearing “CF” pins on uniforms and “Cadet Force” on rank slides… .

Why not just make them all “CF” or “CFAV” - the uniform and other insignia will differentiate between the services.

Also, I don’t work with the RAF Cadet Forces - I work with the Air Training Corps.

2 Likes

Agreed - thats the name of the organisation specified in the Royal Warrant. But we have traditionally worn VR(T) as that is the specified insignia for a commissioned officer. Change the commission and that insignia will have to change so as to avoid prosecution. “CF” reflects the commission in the Cadet Forces.

Like so much else, we won’t have much influence on this and I expect we will be told what we are going to do, if not why, shortly before imposition of the change.

You have historically not been part of the ATC, merely hired help from the RAF who designate that you need to have VR(T) to show that you aren’t regular officers.

With the change in commission you will no longer be part of the RAF in this way and one must assume that you will join us as native members of the organisation. Welcome!

It would then be logical for you to also wear the badging currently worn by other uniformed CFAVs of the ATC but this is also an opportunity, should our lords and masters decide, use the creation of a CF-wide commission to bring all CFAV in all arms under the same overall banner, so we could all be badged as “CF”, army or air force; commissioned or otherwise.

NOTE: I don’t like this latter idea but I recognise it may be desired by some.
The badge I wear designated the organisation I serve in, as does that of our officers. I do not see that concept changing and there is no justification for officers to wear different identifying insignia from non-commissioned personnel as the new commission comes in to force.

1 Like

^ yeah, that lot.

I will more than happily wear ATC pins, I’m not particularly keen on any of the other alternatives.

2 Likes

Please - no pins. At least just embroid the letters on the rank slides.

2 Likes

Absolutely - ideally gold-embroidered to give the appearance of pins but I’ll accept some other design instead.
Pins will still be needed for No1s and No5s unless we also get an embroidered badge for that too.

2 Likes

I agree. I guess it will all come down to what our lords and masters in MOD decide. In the absence of any official briefings or information, we are all whistling in the dark.

The first thing that will have to happen, though, is a new Royal Warrant. The current one specifies VR(T) Commissions and also specifies “Air Training Corps” as name of organisation. If one part is changed, there is no reason the other can’t be.

It may be that a new Warrant creates the “Cadet Forces”, with Air, Army and Sea branches. Given the apparent preference for creeping incrementalism, versus the inclination to “Jointery”, is this likely?

If there is a genuine strategy involving the futures of all the cadet organisations sponsored by MOD, the Royal Warrant will indicate which way we are going.

Keep an eye on the London Gazette!

Hired? They don’t pay me… .

I’m still not 100% sure which way I will vote in the survey, but a thought came to mind when thinking over all these changes that are coming,
Will existing VR(T) officers need a new commissioning scroll issued for the transfer to the CF commission???

also is it me but they do seem to be trying to get a lot done in the time scale, 4/5 months to get everything agreed and then any logistics in place… why do I feel either this is going belly up or this has already been arranged :confused:

Yes, we will as we won’t be commissioned to the VRT anymore. However it won’t be a “Big Bang” approach as you cannot remove someone’s Commission without a formal investigation finding, royal approval, criminal sentence, death or expiry of service so for most we will tick along until our five years comes up then we will be required to transition or won’t be signed on again.

I see no reason except by the organisations choice that we have to stop wearing VRT pins, the current Sea Cadet Officers are currently only Honarary Officers in the RNVR and wear the appropriate uniforms etc.

With that precedent set by the Senior Service why can’t we have our shiney new CF Commissions and be made Honarary members of the RAFVR(T). Keeps the old organisation alive, costs zero in new badging, deals with the issues it’s meant to deal with.

Simples!

Yes, good point - an ideal time to mag-to-grid the pins for working dress.

I maybe wrong but
Do the sea cadet officers not wear sea cadet identification badges in their shoulders???

No, just the cadets

1 Like

Thanks I wasn’t too sure,
I knew their CIs wore uniform with civilian instructor badges but couldn’t remember if they had sea cadet badges or not

This is correct. The question was do they wear identification badges on their shoulders though?