Top 5 L98 Fads

I have never been issued a sling in 2 parts. Have you? Is this an Air Force thing?

I teach sling fitting as one piece, my way. The book is confusing on sling fitting.

And its virtually useless on cleaning too.

Papa November, Not true.

Get some more trigger time and you will get stoppages due to underpowered rounds or dirt ingress

The A2, like most weapons doesn’t like wet weather and being dropped on a hesco bag, full of wet sand as I found out one night.

It also doesn’t like too much oil or too little oil. The build quality seems to allow for too many variables, such as “wobbly” TMH’s & the trigger take-up (2nd stage break) is always a big surprise (unless you know how to safely & “legally” improve things) Not like the Omanis at one Service meeting at Bisley, their sears were honed down to give trigger release about the same as a .22" target rifle…

Whilst it was quite some time ago, I don’t remember such a build up of crud on the gas plug for my trusty SLR! :wink:

No need as well for the “forward assist” - the main disadvantage was the possibility of a change of zero when you “broke” open the rifle to clean the working parts. Easy way round - use moly grease for the mouse, lock back the parts to clean the chamber, & clean from the front of the barrel!

That a bit patronising… The initial drills issued that I saw did not have the forward assist, also how much is enough for you? I’ve put multiples of thousands of rounds down L85/86&98 ‘A2’ barrels.
You want to blame the weapon when you filled it with wet sand? No weapon is happy about that!

1 Like

Maybe don’t drop it on a bag of wet sand then?

3 Likes