Top 5 L98 Fads

Oh yes, I remember that!

But are there any changes that haven’t been reverted?

the tap forward/forward assist on the NSP

under PAM 5-C is was not necessary. (0116c)

under the new 71807-C it comes in 0119c(1)

there was also he introduction of the load at the standing position,
the swap of lessons 8 and 9 round

the fitting of the sling changed too, from fitting the two parts separately (in Pam 5) to fitting together as one then to the rifle in 71807-C

1 Like

does a change to the WHT count?

that being the removal of part 3, the timed filling a magazine. what was 10 rounds in 20 seconds has become filling 10 rounds in to a magazine…

Technically speaking, it was never compulsory to fit it in two parts - connecting them together just wasn’t mentioned.

1 Like

Wait so a forward assist is not done?

And why not?

What did the IA drill change to and then back to? For interest?

The IA drill was changed to remove the need to apply the safety catch. That lasted about a week while every corner of the CF launched into the decision before it was reversed.

Wasn’t, now is.

The IA drill changed to L85-like (no safety catch) and then changed back (safety catch applied on the IA)

it was mentioned,

[quote]The Sling

1. Description. Explain: The sling consists of two lengths of webbing type material (see Fig 1-5). The longer piece has at one end a female part of a clip and a flat plastic loop attached, the other end of the strap is clear. The shorter piece has the male part of the clip at one end and the quick release buckle and loop at the other.

2. Fitting. Explain and demonstrate, the squad imitating: (see Figs 1-6 & 1-7)

a. Take the longer strap and lay it flat along the weapon with the female clip end towards the muzzle and the flat plastic loop pointing outwards. Feed the clear end through the front sling loop (Stage 1) and then through the flat plastic loop on the strap and pull tight (Stage 2).

b. Take the second strap and, holding it parallel with the first and with the male clip end pointing outwards, feed the clear end of the longer strap through and over the ridged edge of the gate in the base of the male clip on the shorter strap (Stage 3). Connect the male and female parts of the clip together (Stage 4).

c. Ensure that the longer strap remains untwisted and then feed the clear end through the rear sling loop on the weapon (Stage 5).

d. Check that the shorter strap is not twisted and then feed the clear end of the longer strap outwards through the main gate of the buckle bar. Finally, thread the clear end of the longer strap back through the gate in the buckle (Stages 6 and 7).

1. Removal. Explain and demonstrate, the squad imitating: To remove the sling reverse the fitting procedure[/quote]

my bold.
i am not saying it was compulsory but the wording in the book, when the book changed, does make a distinction between fitting in two parts and fitting as one.

Sorry I meant before that. Although it states the connect them then, it doesn’t say “the sling must be fitted in two parts”, it just implied it. I have never actually known anyone to fit the sling while unbuckled.

as Matt said, wasn’t but now is.

why not?

its and NSP, there is no magazine fitted the body, chamber and face of the bolt have been proven clear.

by what merit is there to forward assist a weapon which only needs to go click and not bang? the final resting position of the working parts is not critical for click as so the FA was never required.
a FAD of WIs was to claim it was.

before when?

working off 2012 Pam 5-C it reads as above.

I was taught during my SAAI instruction by CTT that the sling is fitted in two parts (as per the book)

as such raises hand i and my fellow SAAI students did fit the sling in two parts on the course and I know and my local SAAI instructors did until the 71807-C book came out.

(i am not saying it…was the right way, or the easiest, i think we’d all agree the easiest is as one piece, BUT, the book said X so i taught X.)

if the male and female parts are connect prior to stage 4…why is stage four mentioned?

Before that in the text - it doesn’t say that you need to start with the sling in two parts. Pedantic yes, but the SASC instructor didn’t bat an eyelid when I did my SAAI course.

For reference, the 2013 Pam-5C moved the words to that effect to the beginning of the process. It was probably a mistake in the 2009 version. Admittedly I never actually notice that there until after the change had happened. If I had I would have proposed a change to the ACI.

although it doesn’t state it…seems implied given it is later indicated clipped together. a case of a pink tutu?

i noticed the change with the revision and was grateful for it. as stated it was never a system anyone ever used outside of the classroom!

Because if the safety sear is not disengaged it will not go click either - the hammer will not go forward to strike the firing pin. I admit it is unlikely that the working parts will fail to go forward sufficiently and therefore prevent operation at that stage but if it is a possibility I can understand why they may want a tap at that stage.

If you want people to tap, there is also a lot to be said for tapping all the time so the habit develops fully. however, I wonder how often it has actually made a difference during “ready” and if we would be as well just using it as a remedy in the case of a stoppage.

1 Like

I have seen it happen once before. The working parts didn’t seat properly on a lads weapon because, I assume he didn’t cock it properly. Pushing rather than releasing the working parts under their own weight. Forward assist solved it.

I am getting myself confused thinking of this now, Is the stoppage drill still, weapon fails to fire, cocking handle fully forward, forward assist and carry on? If still fails to fire, tap rack bang? That doesn’t seem right.
Or just, looking at the cocking handle, fully forward, tap rack bang? Which seems right to me?

Christ. All this forward assist talking is confusing the hell out of me. It’s like when you say a word over and over and think it sounds weird.

i take the notes on board but my point was more that is doesn’t need to go bang so why include a drill which ensures a bang will occur when a magazine is not fitted and a bang is not needed, expected or wanted.

Weapons fails to fire
Safety catch on
Look at cocking handle and assess
If:

appears fully forward, check fully forward with a forward assist, SC off, try again – if it doesn’t work go to other IA drills

1 Like

To be honest, I have no idea why the tap forward exists at all except as an IA drill. It’s a hang-over from the A1 which seems entirely unnecessary on the updated rifle.

1 Like

The original drills for the A2s had the forward assist removed - it re-appeared because some couldn’t get out of the habbit…

Depends. Like I said, I have seen it happen once.

Plus there is a way of making a weapon ready, silently (or near as damnit) which utilises the forward assist. So it has its uses.

The forward assist got binned off when I was on the shooting team, and my advanced marksmen course. It might have been a cross over, or ditched but as with a pistol, once you break and assess, the parts fully forward, then it’s a tap rack bang. Tap the magazine to ensure its seated correctly, rack the working parts (cock it) and then squeeze and it should go bang.