Kitchen at NACATC Llanbedr

I’ll be catering for an AT week at Llanbedr soon (probably one of the last camps to be held there before the move to Fairbourne).

I’ve never actually been, so was hoping that someone might be able to supply a few photos or advice about the catering equipment.

If not, I’ll drive over for a recce, but it’s a long way!

Many thanks in advance

Two large range cookers - 8 hobs, 2 ovens. Commercial microwave. 2 commercial fridges, a commercial freezer. An electric grill. One of those rubbish toaster things that you get in most messes. A hot plate. A burco. A potato rumbler. Two massive commercial kitchen sinks. An industrial pot wash. There’s a decent Hobart mixer which is good for baking (not sure if the dough hooks still around). A selection of dodgy knives (we take our own these days!). Stacks of pans and trays. A couple it Pyrex bowls (for porridge!). A good handful ladels and big spoons. We take our own scales and any other special stuff (bamix etc). There are three big shelving units for dry storage. There’s a fair amount of workspace to work with too.

Tescos will deliver to the centre (which is useful!). There’s a decent butcher down in Barmouth. There’s a tesco in Porthmadog, I think there’s a co-op in Barmouth. There’s a Happy Shopper/Nisaa in Harlech for emergencies (it’s small).

Don’t believe the temperatures on the ovens; take your own thermometer. If both ovens are on at the same time it’s not unknown for the gas pressure to drop and cooking time will increase!!!

If your going at the end of season then there’s a fair to middling chance of having a heap of random stuff available in the shelves when you arrive. Things like cling film, sandwich bags, tin foil and baking parchment are very hit and miss!

We generally take food for Saturday/Sunday with us, then do an online order to arrive Monday when we know what’s there, have a better idea of what the activities, weather, Staff and cadets are like.

There’s a big notice board in the dining room that we usually run the breakfast list on (others do it on paper!).

We normally have a cooked breakfast, standard packed lunch, then, at this time of year, a 3 course meal in the evening!

There is a BBQ outside… Probs not the season for it!!

Remember, baking cakes saves money!

2 Likes

Thanks for the very thorough reply!

2 Likes