Inter-flight points registration in SMS?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is any facility in SMS for registering points to flights for a competition?

If not, how do you administer this - a good old spreadsheet? Thanks

rich

Hi Rich,

I’m in charge of flight points at my Sqn. I use the old fail safe, MS Excel.

I record points for everything cadets do, from attending parade nights to wing/region/Corps representation etc, on separate sheets, and then generate a new spreadsheet every quarter.

Any questions, let me know.

As above really.

I dont do it myself and looking at the sheet it is a bit of a dark art but there are points for everything, there is the obvious gaining awards/representing Squadron but the biggest affect is via attendance.

i forget the exact scoring but lets say it is 4 points for attending a regular parade night and 2 points if we know a Cadet isn’t attending, either via the “leave” board where Cadet write down when they will be aware, or via our website “absence system” emailing in indicating they wont be down “i have homework/feeling ill” - if nothing else it helps us know who to/not to expect on a Parade night

we also run it once a quarter with the winning flight getting the cup in their colours for that period. the top two Cadets from each flight are also recognised at our end of year awards night.

In response to your first question Rich, no, there isn’t. Not that I’ve ever discovered.

And to be honest, I wouldn’t like it to be on Bader. The amount of time Bader is unavailable, or if I’m not busy at work, I can add the flight points up without having to worry about whether the server will connect to Bader or not.

We do five points for attendance in uniform & three for A/A. I imagine the technology to put this on Bader is not worth the time & effort, bearing in mind different squadrons will work to different criteria.

Thanks all for your responses.

I will knock something together in Excel when I get 5 mins

Cheers

We used to use Excel, and then ended up losing track of what points had been awarded for and when, so I created a basic application to run our inter-flight competition from instead.

My old squadron started off on excel, then I upgraded it to an Access system. probably over-kill but it worked well.

Hi

would there be a chance you could email me a copy of your accees database so I could have a look we like to do something the same in our sqn?

Hi

Could you email a copy of your spreed sheet I like to see the headings you use?>

If you’d like to see a copy of the one we currently use, ping me a pm with your email on and I’ll send it across. Currently looking at trying to set up an access database or something ourselves to keep track of who did what & when but the system we have works for the moment!

Hi,

Sorry to jump in on this conversation but is there any chance i could see a copy too please? Im looking to revamp our points system to make it easier to use.

Many Thanks

Interesting that people include ‘off-sqn’ activities such as Wing plus representations for inter-flight competitions. It would be interesting to know how many cadets and the distribution within the flights.
We’ve only gone with things that all the cadets can do, such as attending parade nights, Wings/Poppy Appeal, local events and so on. Anything that is a personal achievement doesn’t get included.

As soon as you get into sports representation you are in an instant invoking an imbalance. We currently have one girl who has been in the Wing netball twice, so her flight would get more points, where the other cadets might have no interest or not be good enough. Over the years there is normally only one or two cadets per generation who have any sporting prowess. In my days as a cadet there were inter-sqn football, netball, athletics, swimming and cross-country and only trials for rugby and hockey. The individual sports are now only trials leaving athletics, swimming and cross-country of which only athletics has any mass participation appeal.

How many ‘points’ are allocated per activity?

If someone has any examples they could share that would be great.

This is what we have in place, points are skewed to encourage certain activities;

Adventure Training
Day Activity - 5
Weekend Expedition - 10
NNAS Bronze - 10
NNAS Silver - 15
Community Events
Attendance - 15
Courses
Method of Instruction - 15
Staff Cadet Course - 5
NCO Development - 15
Personal Awareness - 25
JL - 50
QAIC - 50
Fieldcraft
Day Exercise - 5
Weekend Exercise - 15
MM – Basic - 10
MM – FT - 15
MM – FLEC - 20
Directing Staff - 25
Skill At Arms
No.8 IWT - 5
L98A2 IWT - 20
L81A2 IWT - 20
L86A2 IWT - 5
Sqn Marksman - 10
Wing Marksman - 15
Region Marksman - 20
Corps Marksman - 25
Short Range Shoot - 5
Long Range Shoot - 10
Camps
Annual Camp (Blue) -10
AT Camp -15
IACE - 50
Overseas Camp - 20
Duke of Edinburgh
Bronze - 20
Silver - 30
Gold - 40
Flying / Gliding
AEF / GIC - 5
GS - 25
ACPS - 50
Formal Parades
ATC Sunday - 15
Battle of Britain Sunday - 10
Remembrance Sunday - 30
Sport
Sqn Representation - 25
Wing Representation - 5
Region Representation - 5
Corps Representation - 10
Sports Trials - 10

Very much just what all cadets can do without the need for qualifications. This keeps it quite simple and focussed.
We introduced the part day points as you had some cadets who would turn up for a little while and getting the same recognition as someone who was there all day, unless the cadet had a formal group to attend. We’ve currently got cadets who do dance, drama and music groups on Saturdays which affects them attending “all day”, if they turn up afterwards, they get ‘full marks’.

Parade night in prescribed dress 5 (including camp attendance as they are effectively ‘on duty’)
Not in uniform 3
Advised non-attendance 2 (includes up to the parade after)
Cadets who take so called exam and study leave are not included in the advised non-attendance because it is BS, when you have cadets who carry on as normal through the period.

Attendance community event for more than ½ day 5
Less than ½ day 2

Attendance “Remembrance Parades” 5

Wings and Poppy Appeal collecting more than ½ period 5
Less than ½ period 2

Sqn maintenance days over ½ day 5
Less than ½ day 2

Inter squadron sports representation 5