CI CS95/MTP regs

Purely out of interest; what are the regulations regarding CI’s wearing badges on CS95/MTP on SAAI courses or other authorised exemptions?

I noticed AP1358C allows suitably qualified uniformed staff to wear RAF Regiment mudguards, Parachute Wings and Commando Daggers. Does this regulation extend to suitably qualified CI’s? Also I suppose by extension of this; which if any TRF is the CI permitted to wear?

My understanding is:
The regulations permit CI’s to wear CS95/MTP under certain exemptions.
The regulations permit the wearing of certain badges if qualified.
The regulations prohibit VR (T) wearing mudguards if they completed the TG course only and SNCO (ATC) wearing mudguards if they completed JROC only.

My understanding with regards to the likes of Regt mudguards, is that you can only wear them if you are currently wearing the appropriate rank at which you gained the ‘qualification’ badge. I.e. an officer can only wear mudguards if they previously completed JROC, a SNCO only if they were a Regt SNCO. I don’t imagine a CI would be entitled to any qualification badges to be worn, as they wouldn’t be wearing an appropriate rank for the badges. That said, it’s purely opinion as the regs don’t address such issues.

As for TRF, with a cadet beret badge, the suitable TRF (if worn), would in my opinion, be the Cadet TRF (as in, the one with the glider, green in colour).

CI’s are to wear the exact same as a cadet on the rare times that they are allowed to wear uniform. That means cadet beret, and of course the cadet TRF as well. Regarding the Mudguards - my understanding of current regulations from the person in charge of the Regiment says that if you gained the rank of Sgt or above while serving in the Reg then you may wear the mudguards in the ACO. If you didn’t then they cannot wear them.

From our point of view, if a CI chooses to attend the course in CS95/MTP, we would expect (as a minimum) a plain uniform, with beret and cadet beret badge. If there was to be a TRF worn, then we’d expect it to be the cadet TRF, matching the cadet beret.

1 Like

I can tell you right now. A cadet beret and cap badge and associated badges, will never be seen on any MTP/ Unform if I choose to wear it.

who is this desk jockey that’s come up with the SNCO crap about mudguards. Lads have earnt (I use that term loosely :wink: ) those mud flaps, just because they never made it to the counting bullets and beans course doesn’t mean the ACO can scoff at it.

If I did ever decide to go into uniform God help whoever tries to gob off at me about what I can or can’t wear after I have earnt it.

It’s almost as bad as one of you VRT lot that scoffed at a exReg Lad’s single GS medal with NI clasp, when the VRT desk commander had 2 chocolate Jubilee medals.

As far as I know the rank thing only applies to JROC vs TG - so the only reason that mudguards can’t be worn is when a former OR commissions without doing JROC. AFAIK a WO(ATC) is perfectly entitled to wear mudguards even if he never made it past LAC.

1 Like

The person who is in charge of the Regiment (sorry I don’t know the ins and out of the Reg structure) but yes it’s kick in the teeth for those who didn’t get the rank of sgt. I believe the commander changes every so often so it even might change again in the distant future…

I fully expect that is the deliberate intention of the dress regs…to put people off wearing it at all unless they are ‘uniformed’ staff. Because it used to be that they could wear it without headdress. And I get the argument for needing to wear headdress on a base etc, but still don’t feel that was the reason cdt headdress was actually brought into the equation.

2 Likes

I stand corrected - clearly the policy has changed since I last read it!

Does the Short-Range Desert Group have a qualification badge for brassing up your own body armour?

3 Likes

The next CG may well revert to former regulations. Who knows? I’m a tad surprised that the current CG has seen fit to undermine his predecessors instructions. That’s just not cricket.

It’s all about the orifices putting their own stamp on things. So everyone knows How good they are at their job. Instead of actually doing stuff, they focus on all the wordy stuff that doesn’t mean anything but sounds good.

Can never leave stuff alone that isn’t broke. It’s all about the ego with them orifice types.

It’s about badge collecting/bragging for those OR types.

1 Like

Badge collecting?

What, wearing something that you have earnt? A concept that you REMF types aren’t familiar with, Having to earn something…

If you don’t want people badge collecting, then have the same rule for everyone. Either everyone wears what they have earnt, or no one does. Simple.

1 Like

It is badge collecting. The organisation has spent more time piddling about with this subject that they have sorting out the decline in DofE activity. It’s shameful and only affects 0.1% of the uniformed staff strength.

2 Likes

To be strictly fair, that’s a failure of command - if that command was taking the decline of AT, or FC or shooting, or flying seriously, then it could have offered a swift, loud ‘#u@& off!’ whenever any of this sad drivel was raised - but it didn’t, and hasn’t, it went into full-on deckchair/titanic mode and appointed endless WO’s to prowl the ACO looking for dodgy badges and the wrong shirts.

Not, you’ll note, appointing grizzled old WO’s to go around sqns asking when the last time they’d been away for the weekend was.

But then, as I’ve said before, if you appoint an administrator…

5 Likes

If you have earnt it, you wear it. Simple.

Wasn’t that hard was it.

Now that’s been sorted in under 30seconds, they can tackle the issues you said.

2 Likes

But why does someone formerly in the Rocks need to officially wear a badge that says so whilst now being a CI in the ACO?

Arduous course and wings brevet badges can be worn in perpetuity by those still in uniformed roles, but it’s stretching it allowing it for CIs. Stretching it further by including mudguards for uniformed staff or CIs.

Somebody has to draw a line. Somewhere!

Allow everything including cycling proficiency or nothing that is not rank or awarded by Betty. This up/down/take it off/put it on nonsense makes the ACO (and other cadet forces) look silly and encourages Walt hunters on false forays.

Personally, I think CFAV should have a qual badge for SAAI© Marksmanship, Signals and Medic for quals gained inside and outside the cadet forces and keep all the arduous/in perpetuity stuff too.

But RAF Regt mudguards should only be worn by those serving in the RAF Regt. Not the ACO.

It is typical of any organisation in difficulties or decline to bother itself utterly with trivia. I work for a law enforcement agency whose morale is on the floor and staff turnover so bad that people are quitting immediately after training without ever going operational! But our managers obsess about trivia such as uniforms or collection of stats that tell us nothing or what we already know. Law enforcement has never been a lower priority.

If you came down to my det on a typical night, you would find me in my Gucci arktis smock, combat-logos.com rank slides and desert lowas in the summer. As little issue kit as possible, but still remaining identifiably in MTP and a sort of uniform. Most important part of it for me and my cadets is a clean, well shaped beret and a clean uniform throughout. I don’t like PCS shirts, tucked in and rolled up and in cooler times of the year I order the working dress of smock over T shirt for most activities.

Activities have been in decline due in large part to the Army burdening us with administrative tasks that were formerly done by them (when we had a bigger Army!) But now are done by Counties. Tasks done by Counties are pushed down to Coys and Detachments who of course, have no full time staff, and little if any experience of Army beauracracy and little training in it. And the usual response up the CofC to incorrect or incomplete paperwork is to ignore it. No feedback is given, so how can we learn how to do it correctly? We don’t have time or the resources for Army [RUBBISH]

Surely by your own logic, parachute wings and Commando daggers should only be worn by those who are still serving in those units and not in the ACO?

One of my former CO’s once said that his mudguards were harder to earn than his parachute wings…