Camps on SMS

How do you get a annual camp on SMS? Unless I am missing something and it goes under Misc who go you get your record of attendance on the SMS? We have to jump through so many hoops for Adv Trg, field craft etc to get it cleared. For camps do we just send the cadets with a TG21 and bobs your uncle?

Our wing the CampCom has to do a PiPe with a travel plan to and from the camp and all the camp
Admin orders. The only activities after that on Bader for the camp is a shooting ram raised by the RCO.

Annual Camps don’t go on Bader as a normal Squadron camp would. The only things that would need to go on as a separate application are the shooting and if you intend to do any AT.

So how is a cadet record of summer camp generated on BADER for the cadets CV?
So for summer camp there are multiple activities EG museum visits, shooting, adv trg, the local cinema, ten pin bowling. All these will need to have separate clearances from the appropriate authority?

No we just do a single pipe for the camp.
cadets Bader then says he attended RAF xxxx that’s it. No need for individual pipes and AT requests the only additional one is for shooting.

If you had to raise all these pipes, at requests then I don’t think you will be getting many people willing to be a camp comm

Camps are a weird thing. The Duty Risk Holder I believe is the Station Commander hence the ACLO putting together a camp program. Any changes should be notified to the ACLO team for approval and activities should be RA’d by the ACLO team and confirmed by the camp staff.

Rumor has it that the Camps Activity Module will be going live in the next SMS Update (15 Aug) it was due to be the last update, which would have been just in time for this year’s camp season, however priority was moved to 2FTS work with the anticipated return to flight.

My understanding is that the Camp will be the lead activity, which will have sub activities for Shooting & AT, so that cadets and staff are automatically added to the activity, and the IC just needs to upload the relevant documentation.

It concerns me that cadets could be doing AT on camp, with no oversight from the WATTO and potentially non qualified staff in a supervisory role. A PIPE/Other should not be used as a catch all approval for a week long camp, as this in effect gives the camp staff free reign.

Do you know if we will be able to use this function for all camps? I have in the past run a Squadron camp which escalated to include 100+ cadets and 2 Wings and we needed to do seperate applications for shooting and AT, if we had wanted to do Fieldcraft we would have needed a third application!

We are expected to put on an AT for any AT that we plan to add to an annual camp. (But not if its been planned as part of the camp by the ACLO and they are providing the staff such as PTI’s running a high ropes course). We also have to put a shooting on for the shooting, but that’s it, just the 1 or 2 applications.

Will we have the ability to access such things while at camp? When I’ve been on camps recently supplied IT facilities have been between patchy, crap and non-existent, with several staff taking laptops/pads and someone having to take a printer and forget internet access. You see a lot of people using mobile phones to access the internet, which is nonsensical when you are running an activity like an annual camp, given the patchiness of signals etc.

Will it be able to be dynamic with the CC able to authorise things or will it be camp staff doing the work and waiting for ‘Wing’ to authorise it? When I’ve been CC the camp programme is best described as fluid, given the body of the programme roles over to each year without being looked at and as a result some of the things and people listed no longer exist there. If the activity on SMS is as per every other activity apart from a list of names it won’t serve any other purpose.

I don’t see CCs being given the authority to OK things on SMS, which suggests we carry on as we are.

1 Like

How is travelling to camp a Public Event?

The Corps often confuses me…

1 Like

On my sqn the OC uses PIPE as a generic term for every activity we set up on SMS, if it’s AT it’s a ‘PIPE’ for the camping weekend or a ‘PIPE’ for shooting etc.

What I’ve never understood is that I set up an AT activity, the OC has to say he’s happy and then the WATTO has to give it the final clearance, if I set up a parade then the WExO has to give the final OK after the OC has ticked a box to say he’s happy. In many cases the OC isn’t even going to be there. What exactly is the purpose of the OC doing anything as knock backs come from higher up? It seems to be an admin step for the sake of an admin step, if people aren’t busy enough.

The OC can and should be knocking things back if they aren’t correct, it’s very rare that we get a PIPE knocked back by wing as I will have gone through it first.

It would seem that it’s still a bit unnecessary though. A better system would perhaps be:

IC activity submits event to wing (WExO, WATTO, WFTO, etc).
OC is copied in automatically
Wing review activity
If wing are unhappy, they return it
If wing keep having to return stuff, then they ask the OC why they aren’t checking things

And OC would say “because it doesn’t come through me as you’ve cut me out of the chain, I only become aware after an application is submitted”

I would question why I need the WeXO to authorise a bag pack at my local Sainsbury’s anyway. I’m trusted to risk assess my own Squadron including activities in Public Places on Parade nights within “the extended Squadron footprint” so why does doing an activity on aSaturday require an application signed off by someone who has never been on a Squadron?

1 Like

Basically, my point was that it should be up to the OC to decide whether or not to let his/her staff submit applications without checking them first - so if it’s an experienced member of staff who’s done it many times before then they can go on trust without having an unnecessary admin step; if it’s a more junior or inexperienced person then the OC should be telling them that the OC (or another member of staff) should check it first.

In my time as OC I was always aware of what was going on invariably I was either the POC for whoever wanted the sqn’s involvement (in which instance I delegated someone to coordinate it) or it was discussed between the us (the staff) as part of the planning process. If the OC is out of the chain there has to be something seriously wrong. Even now I like all the staff know what’s going on and when, but doesn’t mean we are going.

If the OC doesn’t delegate it’s a short run to the loonie bin. Sometimes you have to get things wrong and let people get things wrong, it’s all part of learning.

The SMS activity system does seem to have developed into an excessively OTT system in terms of admin when it was sold as a way of to simplifying things. Try adding or removing staff once it’s been approved. We are in a group of 4 sqns who invariably do AT and DofE together and all of the staff are put on everything just as a matter of course, but we don’t all go, just saves time and aggro later.
In the old days of paper forms you just said x number of staff and if it was more or less than stated no one really cared, now you have to pick the staff and for simplicity invariably just add everyone to cover all eventualities. Yes the old forms may have been slower as they needed to be posted, but the flexibility outweighed the time factor and you tended to have better planning for things, as SMS does seem to lead to a lot of last minute things.

1 Like

If you are putting all of the staff on every application as a matter of course whether they are attending or not how are Wing able to ensure that you have sufficient qualified staff attending?

I don’t see a problem with the OC tick box, but I would like an amendment. I would like it to be “submit to OC” button the same as when it goes to Wing/Region that way if an OC sends it back to the activity ic for Amendment there is an audit trail.

I would also like PIPe authority delegated to the OC, it doesn’t really need the WeXO (or in my Wing the Deputy Wing Commander) to sign it off.

We’ve never had a situation in all the years (including pre-SMS) we’ve worked together that we’ve not had enough qualified staff go, because we all get on and new staff coming in aren’t made to feel like outsiders. We’ve got 4 new CIs (ex cadets) among the squadrons and have just started getting involved, they are included fully, get given things to do and left to it, they ask when the next things are. Between them they are looking to do BELA and DofE Supervisor and Assessor courses.

Whoever devised the system as it is has created this situation, because it is human nature to find shortcuts and solutions to problems presented. If not we’d still be running around naked, living in caves, picking berries off of trees and living off carrion as we’d never have started farming or hunting and all those two activities present in terms of development opportunities.

The whole point of the system is that the WATTO or for larger activities the RATTO can look at who is attending, what qualifications they have, read the risk assessments and the plan of action and sign off to say that yes this activity is authorised as it is appropriate. If you are lying about the number of staff attending then their decision to authorise the activity is based upon flawed information.

Our WATTO and indeed our RATTO have been known to make spot checks of activities to ensure they are being run as advertised, not sure what they would make of you listing people who aren’t attending.