Aircrew eagles but no brevet?

Just seen a photo on Facebook of a RAF SI with aircrew eagles above his rank insignia but no brevet. Seems unusual to me. I thought it might be that he was in training to be aircrew but was yet to qualify for the brevet, I don’t know though. Judging by the medals he’s wearing he’s been in a while.

Linky to piccy?

Assume this is in No1s as you mentioned medals.

MB

Maybe they are undergoing the qualification training required for the brevet?

Not aircrew, these have been “standard” on airmenr’s uniform for a while, see photo:

Just to confirm, aircrew eagles are metal and sit just above the chevrons.

Ah, not “those” eagles… :wink:

Going back a loooooong way, when under training for what is now WSOp, yes, the aircrew “metal” Eagles were worn with the sgt rank chevrons. May have changed now, as the initial trg is at Halton (10 wks), then a “foundation” leadership course at Cranwell (11 wks) followed by a further more specific aircrew trg cse (14 wks) also at Cranwell.

Obviously medals + length of service to get them would have to match entry requirements for the aircrew selection & trg… Current age limit for direct entry WSOp is 32 yrs old. Someone could easily have been awarded theatre medals, etc, for Afghanistan for example.

They are the metal aircrew eagles. Is it common for someone to transfer to aircrew? Just a bit confused as the certificate says Corporal on it and as I understand all aircrew are a sergeant at the minimum in the RAF.

I can only refer back to my experiences, but for the equivalent trg, we were “Acting Sgt” (wearing sgt stripes) until the brevet was awarded. On my cse, there were at least 2 cpls who were paid at their substantive rank of cpl, whilst wearing their (acting) sgt stripes.

Someone else can check out the medal ribbons…

Could it simply be a case he himself was presenting the certificate to a Cpl; as I know a few Sqns would allow their former cadets who’ve moved to greater things present such things on awards nights…

Or this was some backdated certificate of his own service whilst in the ATC?

I’ve cropped the photo, the other person in the photo is presenting the certificate to the sergeant I can assure you.

I’m just curious as it’s something I’ve never seen before.

Medals are

Operational Service Medal (Afghanistan)
Diamond Jubilee Medal

The Diamond Jubilee Medal was awarded in 2012 and recipients must have accrued 5 years service.

Seems like a former ground tradesman who has remustered as NCA. Presumably rank badges are awarded on completion of the 10 week NCAITC, and this chap is in between NCAITC and completion of flying training. Can anyone confirm at what stage flying brevet is awarded?

MB

He’s an SI who was originally a Cpl (RM) who then transferred across to the RAF as Sgt Aircrew and is in trg now.

Thanks, guess that answers the question.

I love this kind of thing!

Just saying.

Mike Bravo is correct. This guy was obviously a groundcrew corporal before volunteering for aircrew and is, as Mike Bravo says in the interim phase of flying training before the award of the flying badge.