Wing structural re-organisations

As much as I moan about HQ for poor Comms explaining their decisions I do think that there is probably a whole cluster f of historic problems we don’t know about that they are working through, which would explain some of the decisions they make.

We’ve all seen the CFAV who shouldn’t be allowed to supervise a cadet using a hole punch, but somehow gets up the greasy ladder. If they are the ones HQ interact with most then of course they won’t trust us

1 Like

Sounds just like the NHS, the incompetent promoted to a place they can do the least damage. IIRC Parkinsons Law.

The only change here is is the Sector NCO / WO being Primary, locally they are currently secondary and I see them less than I see the Sector Commander (mainly as I keep inviting them down for MOI Assessments)

The WSC is a layer between Sqn OC and Wing OC, they could mandate XYZ, just as OC Wing can, unlikely to get all sqns in the Wing playing along though.

Currently we have 3 Sectors of 8 Sqns, and I think this makes the WSC ineffective as too many units to cover, we could move to 6 (scaled for) each of 4 Sqns and that could actually massively increase Inter Sector Work that ultimately delivers a better cadet experience.

I don’t see how this is downgrading Sqn OCs to Flight Commanders as @Crash insinuates, maybe the Wing just hasn’t had Sectors yet.

Depends on how you write the terms of reference for the Sector Commander. In many places nothing has just from when they were just WSO’s with Squadrons independent and doing their own thing. In others the Sector Commanders are more intrusive in their management of their units. What is being described in Dorsey & Wilts is the Sector Commander actively running all of the units, which was the old Super Squadron plan of 15 years ago.

Im not sure im understanding the ask or idea properly.

If it is to have additional primary roles per sector, where will all these additional volunteers come from?

Maybe ive missed something here?

Giving Sector Commanders additional ‘powers’ or enabling them to help Sqns is fine by me. But the moment they try and dictate my training programme or move my staff around, is when it wont work.

This is the question with all Wing / Region / HQ roles, they need to be delivering more “value” than they would be at a sqn or it’s a backwards step for the org.

Unfortunately, I constantly fail to see the “value”, maybe this is something the Establishment Review will look to resolve.

2 Likes

Is that a HQAC project? Or what this dor/wilt plan is called?

HQ Project, I assume it ties into Astra but very little info about it even on the grapevine

1 Like

Is it some ones bright idea that they’ve badged under Astra to try & avoid being asked too many questions or stopped from proceeding.

2 Likes

I’ve removed the name of the Wing alleged to be moving to a new form of Sector structure to avoid staff in that wing getting incorrect information.
The idea of Sectors becoming large squadrons with present squadrons becoming flights is not a new idea, in fact, I understand it may have been the way some units operated a long time ago. One of my old units we believe was once made up of 3 flights in different towns, before one flight was closed and another reconstituted as its own unit. If we can keep discussion to discussing the hypothetical idea, without suggesting that it’s a definite plan in the one that was named, then we can avoid anyone having too much of a panic.

4 Likes

It seems a - frankly - barking idea to me.

I simply don’t understand who is going to want the job of Sqn Commander If being a Sqn Commander doesn’t actually entail doing any of the Cadety stuff.

Most, I think, do the OC job despite the paperwork and the faff, not because of it…

4 Likes