Why is it so hard to volunteer!

That one really is variable. eDBS now only takes a couple of weeks as it’s online. Realistically you should be able to start attending once that’s done as it’s the legal requirement out the way. But that varies from Wing to Wing. All the other stuff, although compulsory, can be done in the month or two of your attendance. And is often easier to do if you’re turning up once a week so the CO can go through anything with you.

1 Like

Only as a civilian RAFAC adult, if you want Officer, SNCO, SI etc then its all those forms again.

The Unit OC triggers this within SMS, all that comes from Wing is the link to complete your DBS and that will not be triggered until you complete the form on Join.

1 Like

Little update, thanks for the info and pointers above.
DBS filled out and waiting for certification, BPSS completed and submitted.
Interview / meeting with the Sector Sqn Ldr on Monday.

Sqn currently has no shooting officer and with my background and experience the OC is very keen and so am I to fulfill this role at the squadron.
My question is can a CI fulfill this role or does it require a uniformed position?

6 Likes

Glad to hear it’s moving in the right direction.

I’m hoping to make contact with my nearest squadron in a couple of months, so it’s been good to follow your experience.

5 Likes

Yes absolutely, I got all my shooting quals as a CI

2 Likes

Yes. On squadron, it’ll likely be an administrative role anyway unless you’re lucky enough to have a range on site.

All shooting courses are open to you as a CI. Once you’re started, have a look at SATT (Small Arms Training Team) courses.

1 Like

There is a tube range on site at the squadron, it’s just not been used in a considerable time due not having the qualified staff.

I very much doubt that my WHT for the SLR way back when will be still valid, but in any case looking forward (fingers crossed) getting stuck in and being able to deliver shooting activities to the squadron.

6 Likes

With summer coming up, if you can pester your wing shooting person to get you any training for the various rifles we use then you’re set for applying for range courses as they come up.

The other ones that are useful are dangerous goods & storekeeper. If you don’t already have security clearance you’ll want to get that done fairly soon after joining.

1 Like