Which Role as Staff?

The perceived wisdom from many staff is don’t do the uniform thing, but so many do because the pressure is applied and fall foul of it.

You’d have thought when it is so difficult to get and keep staff, they can’t see their approach is so poor.

I think that is a major reason for starting as a CI. If being in uniform is the most important thing for you, then maybe you should look carefully at your motives before becoming a CFAV.

4 Likes

So what is the draw in your opinion for going straight into uniform, over becoming a CI or as suggested leaving for a while and coming back as a CI.

Organisation needs staff but it needs staff who are in it for the right reason and not just with their eyes on a perceived prize, as this is like the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Sometimes the desire to jump straight to a uniformed staff role is not because of the uniform itself but because of continuity and integration within the organisation. Having spend up to 7 years in cadet uniform, breaking with that and losing the uniform, despite remaining in the organisation, can be jarring and may be as big a negative as some other options.

Sorry CIs, but in a uniformed organisation you really are the outsiders in some ways, regardless of your actual value and commitment.

3 Likes

Where did you get that “being in uniform is the most important thing” from? He’s just said that he wants to go for a uniformed role - hardly ridiculous in a uniformed organisation - not that the uniform is the main draw.

There are certainly some advantages to being a CI first for some people, but there’s nothing wrong with going straight into uniform either.

1 Like

Totally ok with that. I like being the outsider…

I spent as long all bar a day or two that I could as a cadet (8¾ years) before becoming staff (a CI) and I didn’t see it as a negative in any way shape or form. I’ve never regretted not going into uniform staff from day 1.

The only reason many cadets see becoming a CI as a negative is because they have too many staff, from when they are probably 18, making irritating noises like a gnat in their ears saying go into uniform staff as it’s bad to be a CI. The only reason many do this is because they are looking at the door and opportunity to leave. I know one CO who advocated uniform, but has seen all his bright young things moved away to other squadrons and never darken his door again, now he advises CI to stop the leak.

I want to go straight into staff as I want to give something back bit cliché but I do honestly feel I’ve gained a lot and would like to repay the organisation for that. Uniform because squadrons in my area are drastically short of uniformed staff full to the gills with CI’s but a lack of uniform and not many of those CI’s want to transition. In the end spoke to a WSO and have submitted papers for comission (feel it suits me more).

Good luck in the application process.
Spend time doing the application, make sure you give as good of a rounded view as possible highlighting areas of responsibility.
Research Air Power, the ATC structure up to HMQ and current RAF operations (start now!). Also be more clued in with what’s happening in current affairs, ideally enough to have your own opinion that you could back up should it be challenged.

The process is long but if you succeed in the end it will feel like such an achievement.

Be prepared to allow the process about 10 months from start to OASC - they certainly don’t rush.

You misquote me. There was an “If” at the beginning of the sentence. It was left to him to decide whether it was.

A bit of history - I actually re-joined as a CGI. On a VGS (remember them?) what was important was qualification; there were A1 cats who were CIs and truck drivers who were officers. It made little difference whether you had a uniform or not (or, indeed, if you were a cadet).

But didn’t you all mince about in gro-bags anyway, pretty much wiping out the distinction?

3 Likes

My point.

Ah, nice to know I’m wanted. Let me see, that would mean in my squadron it would be:-

Insiders Nil

Outsiders 5

At least I won’t have to hand anything in when I go.