WhatsApp

I have a staff WhatsApp that includes our Staff Cdt’s

I have a civ com group too.

There was a staff/NCO group but I’ve stopped using it and almost down to none of the current NCO team being a member.

One of my cadet’s parents found my contact details online (on a page for another org I’m involved with which has nothing to do with cadets and comes on the 6th page of results if you Google my name). I then got multiple voicemails demanding to know why their precious little … hadn’t been promoted. So I’d never deliberately give my number to cadets or parents.

I’ve never had that problem, but step one for me would be informing the parent in question that phone calls are only for urgent issues. Anything else they can email.

that seems like a lot of effort for something which is both 1 minor issue (ie not urgent) and 2 best discussed in person/easily discussed by visiting

i have my phone number out there in the land of Sharepoint. I was the 2IC for a monthly shoot and my number was listed in that. in the four or so years only had one phone call which was for the right reason (parents running late for a pick up). In my experience Parents turn to Facebook* and send a message via Messenger before my phone rings - and this has been about anything and everything, frustratingly 8/10 it is information which is available in the breifing JIs shared…and we wonder why the Cadets ask the obvious question!

*where they’ll need to find the document about the event is shared and then find my number if indeed they know it is there to find (or think that deep to look there)

I have effective shields to parents calling me, it’s called my wife for home calls and if the number isn’t in my contact list and so no name shows, I ignore it. If people want to contact me afaic they’ll text me.

Straying off topic a little here…

I’ve never had an issue with cadets having my number. If anything it’s been handy for the occasional message or call for a late withdrawal from an event. We always give out staff mobile numbers on things like AT expeditions in case of emergency. Normally for staff in the local area and for staff out with the activity incase of any comms/signal issues.

We have a staff only WhatsApp group we use quite often for quick messages here and there.

1 Like

Therefore you are not an OC, it is something that is expected of the OC by parents.

They can expect all they want, doesn’t mean that they’ll get.

I struggle to see any reason why a parent should be contacting the OC in the first instance.

1 Like

^^this

if it is that pressing an issue a phone call is needed (over an email) then it is worth having the conversation in person - come see me at Squadron and i shall invite you into my office and we’ll have a chat.
I have done this in the past…although not because i was being harassed by parents on the phone, simply because it was easier to deal with the query there and then

1 Like

If the parent wants to talk to me they can come to our call the office on a parade session or send me an email. They could even phone the school and leave a message but I have a full time job and a young family so won’t be dealing with anything like that outside of hours unless it’s an emergency involving cadets on an activity. No need for a parent to have my personal number.

What people want and what they get are 2 very different things.

I’m a volunteer not an employee, I have my own phone not an ATC issued one. If a parent wants to talk to me they have 3 choices:

1. Phone the Squadron during Parade Times
  2. Attend the Squadron during Parade Times
  3. Email me and I will respond when it’s convenient to do so.
7 Likes

As a volunteer i feel what @daws1159 indicates is the absolute maximum that can be expected.

many go far beyond this, but that is their own decision…

1 Like

Exactly.

The only reason I would ever expect to have a phone call from a parent is if I’m POC for an activity and there’s a short-notice issue or query.

For which we have an activity phone.

My own mobile number is on my email signature block, so parents could get it that way, but I dont actively give it out.

If any ask for it for a good reason, then I let them have it. However, I would only expect a call if its direly important. Otherwise I will direct them to come to Squadron for a chat or send an email.

As for WhatsApp groups, well happy for there to be a Staff one, but a big no no to a Cadet and Staff one. It’s just a huge can of worms waiting to burst open as far as I’m concerned. Stick to the closed Facebook group with a Wing Staff Officer or two as a member as well.

In the old days we set up the Sqn facebook group because facebook permissions were by default open to all and there were instances of cadets talking too openly on each other’s “walls”. The facebook group gave a closed environment to discuss shared lifts, early drop-offs &c.

These days it is primarily used by the staff to publicise events and make short notice announcements.
We have a staff whatsapp group which gets used very occasionally; and most camps and courses set up a whatsapp group which is quite useful.

With Cadet Portal replacing most of the features of the facebook group I can foresee cadets and some parents wanting to setup their own group chats to discuss lift shares &c once we ditch facebook.
I don’t intend there to be a be any form of Sqn whatsapp group for everyone - I don’t think it’s needed. Parents can make their own arrangements as they see fit with their fellow parents/friends.

I wouldn’t have parents in a WhatsApp group in the same way that I never had them in the closed Facebook group.

The Staff in our all Cadets groups don’t actively engage unless they need to a) Correct behaviour or b) answer a question/update information.

Most of the stuff under b) is likely to be superseded be Cadet Portal 99% of the time.