What is going on?

They don’t really though. Someone might ask a question and then the same old whingers jump on the band wagon. Look back at the previous topics. It’s a small handful of the most confections/complained about/low karma users.

[quote=“pEp” post=14302]In addition, we are reviewing what we’re doing right now. We are moving away from having operation usernames, we have created a moderation policy/code of conduct and we’re in the process of working out how we can be more transparent, as much as anything, within the limitations of the board.

phpBB was really good for modding - you got a notification similar to a PM, you got the report to refer back to, you could see a log of moderator actions and it was much easier to keep on top of things. This newer board poses us some problems - namely we get sent an email of the abuse report, and nothing appears when we log in here at all.

This means we can’t easily track who has done what, said what to whom and when and relies on us having the time to type it all up, when we might have just been checking new things in a break, spotted something bad and removed it for cleaning later.

Whether we lock the thread, remove it entirely from view or just edit the posts depends on what the problem is - in the case in question, it was clearly inappropriate to leave it in public view, and we needed time to discuss what we felt we should do about it. Bear in mind there are only a couple of us, working different hours with different abilities to access the site and realisitcally it could be a day or more before we can all see the boards, let alone act on them!

We nearly always seek guidance from each other on difficult decisions (other than things like swearing, baiting and trolling etc) and we go by consensus.

I hope that clears a bit up, but as ever anyone is welcome to PM me to ask about any decisions I’ve made.[/quote]
I’m genuinely pleased to hear that moderation IS being reviewed and steps taken to produce a code of conduct. pEp, when you say that there’s ‘only a couple of us’ where have the rest of the team gone?

To the best of memory there was:

Operation:
Archway
Dynamo
Nimrod
Persecution
Exile
Watchtower
Huskey
Mincemeat
Chastise
Veritas
Claret

Plus Batfink who chose not to be anonymous. That, together with the site owner makes 13 mods.

They don’t really though. Someone might ask a question and then the same old whingers jump on the band wagon. Look back at the previous topics. It’s a small handful of the most confections/complained about/low karma users.[/quote]

Oh no, my internet karma is low! How will I cope in the real world??? :lol:

They don’t really though. Someone might ask a question and then the same old whingers jump on the band wagon. Look back at the previous topics. It’s a small handful of the most confections/complained about/low karma users.[/quote]
YOU still haven’t answered my previous questions - asking if you’ve not EVER questioned or complained about something you believe strongly about?

[quote=“Gunner” post=14310]pEp, when you say that there’s ‘only a couple of us’ where have the rest of the team gone?

To the best of memory there was:

Operation:
Archway
Dynamo
Nimrod
Persecution
Exile
Watchtower
Huskey
Mincemeat
Chastise
Veritas
Claret

Plus Batfink who chose not to be anonymous. That, together with the site owner makes 13 mods.[/quote]

Archway is still here
I was Dynamo
Nimrod is sort of here
Exile is now QuadFlyer (I think)

I don’t know anything about the others, I can’t even remember who they were!

The old memory is now kicking in - REMOVED, REMOVED and QuadFlyer, I didn’t know or had any dealings with.

Now you come to mention it, I also haven’t seen a lot of the others around for a while. I recall James Blonde standing down some time ago.

YOU still haven’t answered my previous questions - asking if you’ve not EVER questioned or complained about something you believe strongly about?[/quote]

I believe strongly about things that matter. Moderation on forums doesn’t matter whatever the issue or outcome is.

Frankly, for those of us who aren’t mods I don’t think we’re in a position to comment, and this kind of character assassination thread is hardly likely to get us anywhere. Has anyone actually considered a reasonable discussion to attempt to sort this one out? Rather than just criticising.

Have you read the thread dude? Several sensible suggestions have been made.

Well, it does to me.

Which have far too quickly descended into mod bashing, I concede changes to moderation are desirable (although not essential) but these kinds of threads are not the way to make these changes happen. All they are likely to do is to make each side less likely to listen to the reasonable suggestions of the other’s.

Just going to throw this idea out.

Where a post breaches the AUP, remove the thread, however a locked thread of the same title, explaining that the thread has been removed for breach of AUP, highlight the relevant sections. If the thread can be edited and the restored then great but include this in the locked thread, this way the won’t just disappear…

Exactly what we are looking at doing. As one of my colleagues said, in the old days we had the mod tools that we could quickly and easily see what had been done with a complaint/report/AUP breach. We are now working out ways to do this in the new forum but it is taking time.

Personally I will follow this request and any thread I pull will have a locked duplicate in its place explaining the problem.