Welsh

Only if you’re a language teacher.

I think this comes under the heading of questions you wish you hadn’t asked…

@Mr_OZ I think I just got mansplained… I do know what Welsh is just not the legal ramifications of the act, given I neither live nor work in Wales.

Just my 2 pence worth - our Sqn is just about as far into Wales as you can get where all of our cadets are bi-lingual and many of them regard English as their 2nd language.

I’m pretty sure all of our forms are purely in English though, there’s certainly no Welsh on our TG21’s, AV Med Form 1 etc.

We speak in English.

The same language that all (apart from language) lessons are taught in during secondary school.

There are various Masrada’s near us but if that’s where the student spends most of their time, I’m not quite sure how integrated they / their family would be and if the ATC is where they would want to spend their free time.

Back on topic though - does not having the forms in Welsh cause detriment?

If the forms were in Welsh too, I’d love to see the fun that would arise on IACE or similar from staff not knowing the language…

Not in my experience it doesn’t and if you were to bet on anywhere making it an issue, it would be here.

2 Likes

TBPH HIQAC have got bigger fish to fry than having things in different languages.

1 Like

Likewise, but I know plenty of people who would kick up a fuss about not being able to get official documentation in Welsh.

Mansplained is a horrendously ignorant and offensive word. It’s incredibly sexist.

Please refrain from using it.

Which part of Wales are you talking about?

I could name a few places like that! Anglesey has quite a few militant Welsh speakers, as does the small town in Mid-Wales I spent several years living and working in!

Cardiff is bad enough.

I worked with a bloke Dennis who was born and lived in Wales until he was 7 and with Welsh speaking grandparents had to learn to speak Welsh.
His annoyance was when he went back, in some places people sensing he wasn’t Welsh, and speaking in Welsh. He said he liked to let them have their moment and then say something. They then reverted to English. His wife was never a fan of this as his granddad taught him how to be precise in indicating his view in Welsh and she was never too sure what he had said. Not that you’d argue with him he was and still is walking eclipse. When I’ve met him since he retired he has little time for the thing about singing “Land of my Fathers” in Welsh at the rugby. In his words pretentious idiots or something like that.

and that’s what I find amusing and what I was trying to say in posts 23 & 25 - my experience is that the more fluent speakers just get on with it and the less fluent make it an issue.

Had that in Bangor quite a few yrs ago (separate question, what happens if you can’t read a road sign in Welsh & have an accident?) - went into pub, group of 5 people at the bar talking in English. I ordered a beer (in English), they changed to speaking in Welsh. I hadn’t had the best of days so reacted quite quickly, & told them that I thought they were very rude… & then counted the 5 of them versus one of me!

They apologised, bought my beer & we had a great evening together.

2 Likes

They’re bi-lingual

So it takes longer than the usual glance to read the information?

Thus distract you from the road for longer?

No, you just look at what you’re used to reading. I can’t imagine anybody reading through a couple of words of gobbledy-gook before realising there are words they do they do understand right next to them. I can’t speak more than 10 words of Welsh and I’m not in hospital.

2 Likes

no longer than it does when driving in France looking for “Paris”, “Dijon” or “Lyon” on the roadsign - a glance for the reference you want to see…

1 Like

Anyway you learn quickly - doesn’t take long before you realise ‘ARAF’ means ‘SLOW’…

Failing that, know that Heddlu means…

8 Likes