Wearing of uniform by Retired Officers

although we’re talking about retired Officers, those still serving are required to ask permission to attend funerals in uniform as per para 0115 (my underline)

1. Subject to OC Wg / Wg Ex O / Sqn Ldr CCF RAFAC HQ approval and current security situations, personnel may wear No 1 SD at private weddings, civil
    partnership registrations and funerals. Prior to the event individuals are to check with their Wg/CCF staff who can liaise with RAFP or MOD Police regarding the
    current security situation

(which is inline with @Horriblelittletechie says about checking in with RAFP)

So yes I too surprised that funerals is not listed as a “ask first” for Retired Officers prior to attending

So if I’ve read that right, those of us who were RAFVR(T) can after retirement wear that rank/badges without permission for appropriate events? Might mean a lower rank, if they have been promoted since the transition to CFC, I guess.

i haven’t indicated that

ACP1358 is clear:

1. Occasions when No 1 Service Dress may be worn. Retired officers, who are permitted to retain their rank may wear uniform on the following occasions with prior permission from OC Wg / Wg Ex O / Sqn Ldr CCF RAFAC HQ

further on ACP1358 indicates in 0238, c

RAFVR(T) insignia must be worn by retired RAFVR(T) officers. RAFAC officers who previously held a RAFVR(T) commission may choose to revert to RAFVR(T) insignia on retirement or continue to wear RAFAC insignia

1 Like

If you retire from the RAFAC …why would you choose to revert back if previously VR(T) …surely you retire from your ‘current’ org and thats that?
Seems daft to me …are there other examples of this going back to previous corps/regiments etc anywhere?

But as per the post by @XRSO , AP1358 permits retired reserve officers to do so without permission, and RAFVR(T) officers are reserve officers.

I.e. hypothetically I don’t care what ACP1358 says.

More practically, though, I agree that it would be hard to enforce!

1 Like

Which would take precedence. AP1358 or ACP 1358?

1 Like

Strictly speaking an AP would trump an ACP and a JSP would trump an AP.

2 Likes

You might have been a higher rank VR(T) that you didn’t hold again in the RAFAC

1 Like

Yep, I guess that makes sense…

The same I guess for Ex (Retired?) regular Senior Officers who flew with AEF’s back in the day and went back if I recall to Flg Off in the VR(T).
They would have retained the right to go back to original rank when needed (for the earlier reasons stated) I assume?

Yes correct. They held a VR(T) commission for service with the AEF often as Flying Officer. However, they retained their retired rank eg AVM, for any other purpose. They would wear the uniform and rank appropriate to the duty they were performing that day. My old RC was a retired Air Commodore. He would swap and change uniforms depending on what he was doing so Gp Capt Monday to Friday and Air Commodore at the weekends. He had two sets of No 1 and No 5

John ford by any chance? At the same time he was a Fg Off at 5AEF so he use to swap ranks quite often. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not only that - some RAFAC officers who were Sqn Ldr VR(T) then reverted to Flt Lt VR(T) prior to changing to RAFAC would still be entitled to retain Sqn Ldr VR(T) provided they did over 2 years and were not demoted on discipline grounds, ie a WSO who stepped back to be OC Sqn. They might never be a Sqn Ldr CFC, but would still be entitled to be Sqn Ldr VR(T) retired

Indeed. I know a few serving CFAVs who attend formal dinners in their retired VR(T) capacity rather than getting their No5s reranked. (I suspect there’s also an element of being able to wear a higher rank again!)

I always thought you retained the highest rank you were appointed to regardless of rank at retirement.

As VR(T) yes, as long as you were appointed for over 2 years, and you weren’t demoted from that rank. BUT I’m not sure, and very happy to be corrected, about retained rank with the CFC.

Just as well I hit my current rank as a VR(T) then, as if I drop down a rank (quite possible) I’ll keep it on my mess dress for dinners… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m happy to be corrected but, I think you cannot display a retired rank until you actually retire and then retain the rank. So, for example, if your post goes from Sqn Ldr to Flt Lt, you remain at Flt Lt until retirement then revert to your previously held more senior rank. If I understand the regs correctly, as a former VR(T) you can then chose if you want to present as VR(T) or RAFAC.

Nothing to stop forget VR people who also hold a CFC from using VR (Retired). It’s equivalent to an AVM retiring and picking up a Fg Off CFC role. They can wear their AVM retired rank on their mess dress regardless of their CFC.

1 Like

Did they VR(T) retire or move over to RAFAC when the change happened?

Pretty sure that the question was asked at the time and the answer was that you were retiring from one and gaining the other, probably on the Forum if you dig deep enough.

1 Like