Wanting to get CWO

Agreed, but if you don’t do it in the first place, then you are most certainly not going to be looked at for CWO. This also depends on Sqn numbers - the larger the sqn, the more spaced out these responsibilities, and some NCOs do become complacent and step back from training. Those who do that aren’t going to be considered.

As for what else, yes, being a role model and leadership is important, but that is expected of all NCOs too. Can they be trusted to take initiative and act maturely to a higher degree than other cadets?

CWO is also there to oversee cadets, to take a step back and see how they can help support those ranked under them shine as well as facilitating staff orders.

Of course, the above can also be said for lower ranks, but all these are skills you build on, improve with experience. CWO is the result of the accumulation of all those skills.

Generalising A LOT here, but…

“Cpl, this needs to be done”
“How should I do it?”

“Sgt, this needs to be done”
“Should I do it like this?”

“FS, this needs to be done”
“Do you want it this way or that way?”

“CWO, this needs to be done”
“OK”

Don’t get me wrong, there are Cpls that a simple “OK” wouldn’t fill me dread (and Sgts and FSs that can act independently), but the theme I’m trying to show is a step up in responsibility and independence - I expect that a Cadet Warrant Officer should be able to just make things happen with minimal outside impetus. They will plan, they will select the team, they will delegate, and they will supervise. A potential CWO should be able to prove that they can already fulfil this.

A CWO should be an accomplished leader, an experienced soul with plenty of information, advice, and experience to offer others (bit of “been there, done that” syndrome), good drill, top uniform, and be able to inspire and motivate others to carry them alongside them whatever the situation is.

Wanting to “give back” is admirable, but what you get is also important as others have said. Sounds to me like you’ve always wanted to achieve your potential and prove that it’s higher than others have given you credit for and that your ambition for CWO stems from that. It’s a high responsibility position that would continue to push you and develop your skills and experiences, and allow you to be a better role model to all cadets, but especially those with disabilities. (of course, don’t play on the disability thing too much - more use it prove why you’ve earned promotion despite your sensory condition, and how it would be a benefit to you as a CWO on the ol’ inspiring others thing)

Link it to your outside ambitions too - what would it mean for your career choices?

A CWO should be “a cut above the rest”, with something in their character that differentiates them from all other NCOs. So a textbook answer about “giving back” without much substance behind it just won’t do.

I really like this:

That’s experience that you can take and pass on - that’s truly “giving back”, not just regurgitating endless classification lessons.

2 Likes

Is there a singular reason that is acceptable for wanting to be a CWO? No.

That would be silly.

So let’s not rule out “wanting to give back” or anything else for that matter, because if they have a passion and competence, that’s what matters and will be assessed at any board.

1 Like