the torch relay?[/quote]

:rofl:

I am going to say nothing other than:-

9 Likes

please, No

1 Like

You would say the 75th was a success and showed off
The organisation??

was an organisational mess that seemed to work despite itself. There were plenty of cracks to be patched and the usual shockingly poor communication and coordination but the “modular” nature of things seemed to help the overall event.

In the run-up, I am not sure I have seen goalposts shift as much since Scotland vs England at Wembley!

2 Likes

That people here are forgetting it’s about the kids. And forgetting their (the kids’) perspective.

They exist in a point in time, realistically no more than 6/7 years, less than that for the majority. They couldn’t give a what the corps was like 5/10/20+ years ago. They only care about what they can do now.

Yes, you’re going to come back with “but what can do now is not a lot”… compared to what you used to do. But they a- don’t know and b- don’t care.

Get some imagination and do what you can instead of whining about what you can’t.

My sqn manages to have a diverse, varied, in depth and all-encompassing training programme, gets cadets on courses of all flavours and, crucially, keeps getting them to come back. We’re not magic, but if we can do it without the endless then so can others.

[quote=“OldNewbie, post:1683, topic:2647”]
That people here are forgetting it’s about the kids. And forgetting their (the kids’) perspective.[/quote]

You don’t get it, do you?

We know its all about the kids. Without staff though, there wouldn’t be Units for kids to join and have access to ‘courses of all flavours’.

HQAC don’t value the staff despite the soundbites that are put out. As another poster here said recently, if you make staff wade through treacle and keep kicking them, they’ll leave.

And that’s whats actually happening.

2 Likes

no.

but the torch relay did work and got Squadrons and Wings involved - it felt like a national event

even if the nation wasn’t aware of the organisation or the challenge

oh! from the photos I saw and the three people i know who went (of which I would be been another had I not a business trip that weekend) all said it was fab. Perhaps they were all too removed from the event to see the true side of the whole affair?

So does mine but almost all of the activities are organised at a local volunteer level and no what HQAC are supposed to suppky. I still do not know what gliding my cadets will ever get to do.

And here’s where you’re acting like it’s only the ATC with this issue, because of the actions of HQAC.

Every organisation, youth, volunteer or otherwise, is suffering through lack of people. Like it or not, we’re not special.

1 Like

Unless you were on a squadron that got dropped off of the list at the last moment…

And by last moment, I mean on the day the torch was due to visit your squadron. After the cadets had spent weeks making banners. After you had bought balloons. And after cadets, staff and parents had already arrived at the unit…:ohmygod:

This time next year, the cadets joining won’t care what sort of commission we have. Adults joining who want commissions won’t be put off because it’s no longer a military commission.
They’ll make the most of it which is what we need to do. Not beat it to death before it’s born…

You think this is all about the commission?

That’s the thread if I’m not mistaken?

Threads drift - ask pEp!

While the specific discussion may be focussed on the commission, the disillusionment associated with it is not necessarily restricted solely to matter in question but is of a more holistic nature.

Things can be complex.

3 Likes

Ok. No I don’t think it’s all about the commission…

I’m aware the amount of people wanting to apply for a commission in the future has significantly stalled from the low figure it was before.

Ok chaps. Incy is right, this has drifted quite a way.

Keep this for the commission. I don’t think ACC has enough storage space for a seperate thread for each of the other issues in the ACO (I hate using the acronym RAFAC) so just create one and if I get time I’ll move them tomorrow (or @Batfink could do it :wink: ).

If nothing else, this is the most active the forum has been for a very long time! Thanks ma’am :wink:

2 Likes

Just because it’s a shared problem, doesn’t mean it isn’t a problem.

Staffing is one of the biggest issues in the Corps, and anything that they do to annoy us is not going to help that.

The issue isn’t just about the commission, that is just a clear indicator of the value that HQAC and above place on the volunteer, naff all. Thanks for all your hardword, thanks for all you do but tough we are changing your status, terms and conditions whether you like it or not. To sweeten this we are going to have a vote, what do you want to be called and wear on your uniform? Oh sorry you didn’t pick the card we wanted so instead we will go with something totally different.

I remember a few years ago they were big on the RAF tag of RISE. As far as I can see the management in this organisation isn’t Respecting its volunteers, lacks Integrity, is a diService to its cadets and volunteers and is as far from Excellent as is possible.

People can accuse me of whinging they can trot out the “well we are in it for tha cadets” line all they want. But they are talking out of their hoop, I like many other have put 20+ years of my life into this organisation and I expect to be treated with more professionalism and respect that I currently am by this shower of short term employed people who have never actually volunteered in the organisation which I care deeply about.

(Oh and the torch relay was a shower but that was a local issue which even i cant blame on HQAC and for me was the straw which broke the Camels back and ended in me moving Regions!)

3 Likes

No point in dwelling on the past. It’s done.
Do you see any positive things about what Air Cadets is?