VR(T) Commission Change

Sometimes you can’t hold off changing something because it might upset people. There are occasions when it’s better to do something than nothing…!

BUT this was announced last year and regardless they should have been ready to go after a 6 month delay, but it seems they aren’t.

This has nothing to do with how people view the change.

If this is the SOP for the MOD you can easily see how and why things like new equipment either take ages to come on stream and or come on stream with problems that should have been sorted out in the project testing phase and end going over budget and over planned times.

2 Likes

you are HQAC’s project management officer and i claim my £5.

which i won’t get because that bunch of witless bunglers can’t even manage envelopes…

7 Likes

And if they aren’t ready. Should they just carry on regardless? Or is it better to slow down and get it right/make it better?
This forum has everything to do with how individuals view the change! All be it a small percentage of those affected…!

Do nothing is an essential Project Management consideration and must be evaluated with all other options.

In this instance it would have been the best option to take over the - “cack handed rush to get things through and lets hope nobody notices and if they don’t like it we can claim they’re not in it for the Cadets and clear our backsides” option - don’t you think?

1 Like

Guess you’re one of the upset ones then??

I actually support this particular change; I don’t support the ham-fisted attempts at project management we consistently see happening in this organisation.

5 Likes

I’m sorry but that argument doesn’t fly, much like our cadets.

There is a history of bungling important changes in this organisation at least as far back as Gordon Moulds, not always because the changes are the wrong ones, but because of an obssession with both arbitrary deadlines or pressing on regardless of whether we are ready or not.

Just look at PTS, it’s been in for 8 months with only 6 months left on the planned transition and lots of people still haven’t seen a Badge, it hardly takes a genius at planning to think maybe we should have had the badges to issue before making such a fundamental change?

As for this, it was always going to be unpopular with the masses and was always going to be more complicated that it would look to a layman, so why announce a deadline that you don’t know for certain you will make? Why not have a HQAC/MOD target date internally to work towards, you can still announce what changes are going to be made and once you have all your ducks in a row you can have an implementation date 6 months after you are ready to change.

5 Likes

Yes - one of many.

no, i’m a CI. when not looking in utter dispair at the destruction of the cadet experience that HQAC and their accolytes have wrought, i laugh my nipples off at the self-delusion of someone so utterly and repeatedly useless that i’m not even sure i could use her corpse as a wedge to keep one of my gates open…

2 Likes

You are missing the point.

I accept they couldn’t organise a piece of chicken in Kentucky Fried Chicken and we have to live with this state of affairs.

BUT they should have issued rank slides in Feb/Mar this year (2017) in time for the original implimentation date of 01 APR 17, bearing in mind this commission change had been in the pipeline for 2 or 3 years at least and don’t mention the pretentious charade of the “what do you want to be called” survey. You have to wonder if the delay was due to not having the rank slides etc sorted and done.

Everyone involved in this must think themselves lucky that they don’t work in an environment where constantly missing deadlines invariably means a P45 and trip to the job centre.

1 Like

Sometimes we have to live with decisions that are made and make the most of it. There’s a lot of that happening at the moment and it’s easy to attack the decision makers.
If you’re a decision maker there’s always somebody that will disagree with your decision and decision makers sometimes make mistakes.
Unfortunately you get to the anger/frustration stage which is where we appear to be on this thread. It’s worth bearing in mind that many people will have very different views…

Actual footage of HQAC spin department.

3 Likes

Perhaps it might be that, with the delay they decided to spend the money for badges on something else and wait to fund from FY 17-18? I don’t know? Just a suggestion?
Change in any environment doesn’t always go smoothly.

If it happened in the ATC I’d be woken by the extreme desire to go to the toilet at 0330hrs.

Change can happen smoothly if it is properly thought through.

Don’t suppose you have a link to the GPJ ones?

It only goes smoothly if you don’t listen to the objectors…c’mon…

The reason for arbitrary deadlines is because CACs know they have a finite shelf-life and if it’s a pet project they want to see it through, that the others aren’t interested in it won’t happen. Gordon Moulds’ big thing was BADER and was pushed through at a rate of knots and squadrons were left with bills of many hundreds of pounds to buy IT kit and broadband and some getting telephones in, which HQAC didn’t fund.

People I know who have worked at HQAC, have said there can be endless meetings where people charged with doing things don’t do them because they aren’t interested in it and baulk knowing that a new CAC will come along and not be interested in it, so they don’t have to do it. I have no idea what is going on at the moment.

What like sticking your fingers in your ears and going la,la,la like a small child?

she still has 3 years left of her second ‘tour’ and it won’t be cut short as previously due to the move to FTRS, there is talk of a 3rd ‘tour’ taking the stint to 12 years…