Volunteer Allowance Review

I completely agree with Moist_Van_Lipwig and pEp. VA isn’t why I’m in uniform, but it really helps keep me in uniform and putting in the hours each week that don’t attract VA.

I get a lot of satisfaction from running the Sqn well and seeing cadets achieving, but I would get as much satisfaction from being a CI and running the activities that I enjoy (which I don’t have as much time to do in my uniform role). Without VA it would be a lot more difficult to put up with all the BS that comes with being an OC.

3 Likes

ok i get it…but why have three systems?

why not “basic rate” for basic stuff
and higher rate for higher input stuff?

perhaps a two tier system is too black and white, but for me seems the least controversial. either you’re pivotal to the event or your not…with a three tier system i can see some striving to be on the +bonus rate just so they are not seen as “basic” staff

Scout leaders get nothing at all.

What’s allowable or not for expenses is at the discretion of the local group’s committee. In some groups leaders pay to go on camps, in others it’s a reduced rate. Most pay for their own uniforms. It’s generally accepted that you can claim for mileage and phone but a lot don’t.

@grounded comment is exactly my feelings.

I dont do cadets for VA. But it offsets all the extra work and admin time I put in as an OC.

There is so little acknowledgement and recognition in the Corps for those of us who put in 20/30 hours a week to keep a Sqn going.

I too take pride in a job well done.

That being said, if rank associated VA were to go or as a minimum, there was no extra for being an OC, I would find it difficult to justify the extra hours per month.

Could quite easily hang up my uniform, go as a CI and just do the bits I like.
No commitment, no fuss, no nonsense.

That’s why VA or Pay hasnt changed for decades.
HQAC know that fudging it will be a final nail.

But Scout leaders dont have the level of admin and bureaucracy we do. Nor the time commitment, or planning effort required.

And frankly, not the wider and higher levels of activity and hence responsibility we do.

I know people sometimes joke about us vs the scouts, but we are a higher level org. Smaller, but certainly more in depth.

As an example, for 18+ months I’ve wanted some more network ports in one of our rooms on the Sqn. From my understanding of Scouts, after a discussion with the building owner, I could have cracked on and would have had them 18 months ago. In the ATC I’ve raised several forms and multiple emails and have got nowhere. If I dare to do it myself, I’ll get disciplined and charged costs.

2 Likes

Cough WIFI cough

Yeah but no but… Techy conversation for another thread :grin: It’s a good example of the extra bureaucracy though

1 Like

Above was a response to Mr Crazy’s question rather than trying to compare the two.

Though I agree the VA system has its flaws I think we are fortunate to have it!

3 Likes

In terms of admin and bureaucracy it’s getting there. In the scouts I’m not constrained by rules meant regular squadies etc or the high level of risk aversion, but we are now required to have written risk assessments for every activity.

In terms of activities that I do in the Scouts, the only activities we don’t do are things like Road Marching which (in my view) are a largely military thing. Scouts go flying, go shooting, go camping unsupervised (in explorers) etc etc
and the only banned activities are:

• Towing of inflatables behind powered watercraft (eg banana boating)
  • Bungee jumping
  • Hitch hiking
  • Knife throwing
  • Archery Tag and other combat style archery activities

Policy, Organisation and Rules: Chapter 9: Activities

Yeah but not ‘run and shoot’ or semi auto military grade weapons.

This is like every youth group now though.

Ok yeah, Road marching, Fieldcraft and military skill at arms

If we were unburdened from all the red tape and military rules we had to follow as if we are a phase 1 training establishment then things would be simpler.
But my guess is to get to that stage, we would effectively become the scouts and lose what makes us different and special.

I think if we could even just unburden ourselves of this stuff at squadron level that would be lovely.

1 Like

We are really lucky to have VA and at the level it currently is at. Certainly having been on a zero hours contract it was invaluable. Taking cadets flying meant at least not losing out on pay.
We should be careful what we wish for. No system is going to be great for everyone and the discussion is welcome. If we want to encourage people into uniform then VA is a good carrot.

2 Likes

Personally, I’d be up for becoming a self employed, contracted instructor. Anything outside of standard evening times that is an official “duty” or requirement gets paid.

Sqn OC/WSC/WSO/WgCdr/etc - performance based (i.e. authorised) retainer
Contributing instructor on a weekend - day rate
unqualified supervisor/non DS participant - reduced day rate
camp over 3 days - enhanced day rate for duration

Log into Volunteer Portal once a month, tick everything SMS says can be claimed for and for how much, add any additional mileage claims, and hit submit.

Yes, but again.
We would see an exodus of uniformed staff.

If that’s a concern, there’s no reason you can’t caveat that with CIs only qualify for the reduced rate - if any.

Shame we dont know who is a CI on here and who is in uniform and more importantly, who isn’t even in the org!