Virtual Parades

I stand corrected. I cannot see that referenced anywhere in the guidance now. I’m sure it was in the first issue though.

1 Like

Wish I could like this more than once.

The band guidance also talks about surrounding each cadet in A4 paper on the floor to catch droplets. The same page also says that doors and windows must be open. That’ll be hilarious to watch the paper go flying. A lot of the guidance is comical at best.

5 Likes

I actually loved being part of the band as a cadet and would happily have one now on SQN if we were big enough and had instruments.

In my old unit as a cadet we had a band and 2/3 flights on a parade, was fantastic.

1 Like

Guest speakers have often worked quite well, esp. if ex-Cadets who know where we’re coming from… good if the staff can chip in a few questions to lift the level above “what’s your favourite aircraft”. Treasure hunts etc. can be fun for avoiding The Screen. Wish we could do more of the creative “escape planning” type exercises without risking someone having to be brought down from the roof of Tesco’s, or wherever…

My squadron has been about the same tbh. We’ve been running a squadron VPN once a week and a sector VPN once a week on a different night. Both eventually dropped off in terms of numbers as the activities were getting too repetitive. Throughout the whole time i would say the best activities for engagement have been kahoots or other self made quizzes and also debates have been popular. If you are able to run a radio/cyber course some cadets may do it for the badge but others aren’t fussed about earning badges so still won’t attend.

Much the same here in terms of VP attendance and cadets don’t seem too forthcoming in terms of ideas of what they want.

I’ve noticed a lot of cadets (and some staff) don’t seem to know/be bothered to write proper emails instead just writing 1 liners. It seems picky but it really annoys me!

I’d like to do a session on this (probably virtually and tied in with basic etiquette such as letting people know when you can’t attend an event) has anyone got any ideas that worked well? Pointing them in the direction of JSP101 alone is unlikely to work. I was thinking of linking it to ‘why’ so ‘why this is important’.

This would probably be when we are back to partial f2f
(operating f2f and virtual) and being stricter on attendance so everyone actually had the content delivered rather than just the odd few that turn up.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Ive been wanting to run something like this for a while but never got round to it… would love it if you do and would share a lesson plan!

They did this when my daughter started university, the importance of using appropriate titles like doctor or professor to address the recipient, importance of writing in a professional way and how to sign off properly.

The first time she had to contact one of the lecturers as some content needed for an assignment hadn’t been uploaded she spent about 2 hours composing, reading and editing the email. The reply from the lecturer?

“Oh yeah, Cheers, Dave” :man_facepalming:t2:

I once received an email reply from an RC consisting of a thumbs up emoji only. I don’t have a problem with that but I do wonder why some get so worked up over this kind of thing.

2 Likes

I don’t have anything against one line emails but there is a time and a place. As a rule, at Cadets I personally would only do 1 line emails to other Sqn staff but only as a reply, not as a initial email.

For me, it is important and gives a good first impression (or rather it leaves a less positive first impression when not done).

It’s better to be more formal than expected and adapt than less and get an earful from the recipient!

Thinking cap is on with ways to make it more exciting. It won’t be for a while but happy to share if I do do this.

1 Like