Valuing volunteers

I like this very much, our Wing has done similar recently and is a good way to pick up info.

1 Like

There used to be Corps routine orders…
. That’s why on sharepoint there is the folder under key documents called routine orders.
It was cleared out however in the last iteration of sharepoint.

1 Like

Oh really, is that what you think, crack on. People accept they have to do the kiddy fiddler checks and accept they are pointless as they only flag those who’ve been caught in some way. Years ago it when it was new it was something to sell an organisation by, but now it doesn’t get a mention. I’ve not heard anyone say about the ATC all our staff are DBS cleared as it means very little, given it is historic and doesn’t cover our thoughts etc. I’ve not heard of anyone not getting through a CRB/DBS first go or subsequently in the ATC. Our church CP bod who has worked in LA children’s services, covering youth clubs, schools, fostering/adoption for 30 years she’s said that they have only seen one not get pass the CRB, which she says is quite amazing when you consider the range of people they deal and work with.

The ATC doesn’t help itself by upping the ante with a protracted application process and other nonsense like AVIP either when we need staff, someone needs to reality check it and do the bare minimum. The lady I’ve got going through the process for CI at the moment, has asked why she has to do it and I said because they say we have to. I can’t say anything different as I see no value in it. I said think of the pointless courses you do at work and multiply it which got a sage nod.

I used to read the CROs but the problem was they were routine or more correctly repeat orders they become just that repeat upon repeat upon repeat and when you’ve read it once that’s it and I have more important things in my life to do than open an e-document that I know before I open it will be of no interest. Now if they came through the post like they used to there’s a better chance of at least glancing through it. If I get an envelope in the post I open it and look at the contents and then maybe throw it away, but if I get an email from the same people it is just deleted.

Interesting
I know of a OC in our wing who has an “amber” warning on their DBS (follow a “scuffle” were arrested for ABH) - given the circumstances they are permitted as a CFAV and as I say an OC of a unit.

I also know of fellow CFAVs who have had O18 Cadet applicants who were not extended due to items found on a DBS which was not known about them prior to the DBS process!

1 Like

But as you say they’ve not binned him. I don’t see why being the OC is of any consequence, we’re all human. Being OC doesn’t mean a thing. I have a pretty interesting temper which I learned to control at school after a couple of incidents. But even now hit the switches in the wrong and be prepared for fireworks. It doesn’t come to flying fists like it did, just a verbal and vocal tirade.

I’ve got mates who’ve been done for ABH and I’ve incurred worse injuries through shaving and DIY.

I talk through with new parents that everyone is DBS checked every 3 years, undergoes safeguarding training and refreshers, other safeguarding protections we put in place, and that staff are required to be first aid trained to a minimum level… It takes about 60 seconds of the chat. So while there is a degree of assumption that these things are taking place given the current climate, it shows that we aren’t just paying lip service to it. Some places will DBS and tell people “don’t touch the kids” and leave it at that.

So you don’t want your staff trained and prepared? What would you ditch?

Well, yeah. It’s the only protection we have against people with an undesirable history from joining. And those already in aren’t always going to be up front about anything they were caught doing outside. It only seems pointless because it doesn’t apply to you, but it’s the protection we have and where necessary it works. Other processes and protections are in place to try to prevent things happening - which may, again, seem onerous, but only because they don’t seem applicable to those of us who aren’t going to do anything we shouldn’t.

Of course, we all know that you don’t apply these procedures considering the “how can I remove someone just because a complaint was made against them” attitude that you voiced in the Ethica thread.

I really don’t know how you can ever manage to inspire anyone on your unit and retain cadets with your constant barrage of negativity and bile, or how you have actually managed to recruit a new staff member, or give parents the confidence that your squadron is a safe and worthwhile environment for their children.

You really should find that door you were talking about earlier.

1 Like

I’d be a lot more positive if I felt that senior management worked even a fraction as hard as volunteers do, taking into account we have day jobs and do all that ATC entails, on many occasions sacrificing your children / family and personal holiday to enable someone else’s children to do things. But I see no evidence of this more like shying away from the awkward things.
Also give us the right tools to do the job, don’t expect us to do it for them. We as a collective need HQAC to respect that we are volunteers and not here to fill in the gaps they can’t or won’t. Sometimes you look at what they give us and it’s like being given a pin hammer to knock down a brick wall or a screwdriver that you would use to tighten screws on glasses to put bookshelves up.
I would lay money if they were on squadrons and had to use it things would change, but they don’t, so they don’t give a monkey’s.

I have a very, very understanding wife and I know other staff where they have been told it’s the ATC or us … meaning their family ie divorce. Guess which one wins and it’s not the abbreviation. While you may not like to believe it or think it, but over 34 years of being staff, I have done things when I have said that I am categorically not available, as those who were doing have had something feeble come up and everyone else has something equally feeble as an excuse. So what do you do say no or as I invariably do, do it instead. Believe me that if I decided to say that’s it, I wouldn’t guarantee the new CO would be as accommodating as I am and just do things so the cadets get to do it. The fact I am getting bored with taking other people’s kids to do things, especially those things like NCO/FMS/Drill things which I have no interest in, is why I have said their mums and dads have to take them and that I stick to.

I was speaking in a whatsapp group this week, several CFAVs from a multiple Wings & Regions have had comms from thier wing perm staff effectivley banning them from using Value our Volunteer on microsoft teams because of not following chain of command and “taking issues outside the wing”…sums it up really

5 Likes

Indeed.
The whole QPJM saga has made me feel truly ‘valued’.
I know many wings have released names / lists etc.

Here. Nope. Nada. Nout. Nein. Nothing. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

Oh… except a delightful email effectively telling us dogs at the coalface to sit down, dont ask, and ‘we will tell you when, we’re good and ready’

Utter rubbish.
Or other words to that effect.

Send them this. Although aimed at North Region, I’m pretty sure if they emailed RC North showing him that they’ve been told not to use VoV (VoP) that the issue would be sorted. The whole point of it is to ask questions that frankly the CoC can’t help with. And to challenge areas where the lower CoC is differing from rules from the higher CoC. Look at the most recent questions on there. All things that no one except HQAC or higher can answer, but questions that were well worth asking.

2 Likes

I’d ask a question about that on VoV if I got an email like that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

I’d encourage that those comms are sent to the Senior Volunteer Adviser and OC North as well. Plus @daws1159’s suggestion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What are they worried about?

What are they afraid of?

Being shown up and getting told off.

4 Likes

And to think that this a Valuing Volunteers week nationally.

1 Like

To coin a phrase “Its a No from me”…

Where else do volunteers have to do 3 days admin for a 2hr activity 6 weeks in advance…and then get it rejected because you’re using an old template…

5 Likes