VA Changes Announced

I will admit that that lack of control has presented issues even outside of the budget restrictions. I think (hope?) that these really low figures are an over-correction or over-cautious approach, or are perhaps missing the details of my questions above.

each region has an allocation of VA days. the region then splits that down into wings. wings are left to decide how to “spend” their allocated VA days - merseyside decided 5 per CFAV. that’s my interpretation.

No mention of limit to number of days claimable. Guidance has also been issued within the region on what roles will attract pay at paid rank. Sign in to your account

Fine, except the policy quite clearly states the number of VA days is NOT changing, therefore staff can all claim 28 days.

not sure what policy you’re reading. this is from ACP 300.

The policy sent out by Comdt RAFAC in the most recent IBN. An IBN can cointain policy.

He’s being squirrelly, because he can’t override the JSP on the “up to” figure. So the max permissible is still 28 days, but inside of that we have made an initial allocation averaged out to a specific budget.

I think the allocation is (or should be):

HQAC given the max, retains some based on known and anticipated requirements, gives to RHQ. RHQ retains some, gives to Wings. Wings retain some, and the final figure is the average of what is left. The logistics of bidirectional reallocation of surplus is going to be messy (if it exists and if they bother).

There was initially talk of some events and activities having their own budget. There were lines stating that “VA up to ratio only” with caveats implied for things like shooting and Fieldcraft where the minimum by standard ratio isn’t always representative of “minimum for viability”.

But all of that seems to have been lost somewhere in how these budgets are now being handed out.

You’ve also got different wings & regions running out of paid staff to administer the whole process.

Easy thing to do is cap at five then renumerate at the end of financial or calendar year.

It kicks the problem down the road but means if a volunteer leaves before the year end & you don’t have to renumerate.

So just thinking further on this. Could the remuneration be balanced as something you accrue.

So 5 days basic but then say 6 days per quarter provided you’ve done your 12hours volunteering in the previous months. (Or even double it)

So those minority of volunteers who only show up for paid duties don’t get it.

Those volunteers who turn up for everything & expending more wear & tear & need to replace things get a bit more VA.

3 Likes

But that never happens :wink:

1 Like

A lot of it comes down to what VA means for you as an individual. If you happen to mention you get “some form of pay” for a volunteering job usually its followed by a laugh and a volunteer and then I break it down and explain. That for me I do 2 nights a week plus outside of work, personal training and development on updated regs, Sqn night planning, event planning, liaising with local charities, RAFA/RBL etc, planning meetings for local events, RFCA inspections all of which there is no pay. Plus several other events run through wing that are not VA claimable but need staff assistance to run.

When we get to VA make it easier will say its £80 per day. Firstly you have to minus the tax (that usually causes questions) if your basic rate that’s - £16 down
Running total of £64 per day to cover Food and messing costs and other personal purchases including buying and maintaining all of your uniform and equipment and also being the welfare, health and safety and first aider of x number of cadets along with knowing all of the other policies etc. When you minus off a VA claimable day and take off basic 3 meal food and drink costs, we aren’t left with that much and that’s if you can claim at all!

1 Like

Looks like they’ve given up with providing answers to our questions…

1 Like

New comedy take on the VA budget being that claims count on the day they’re paid even if the event was in the last financial year.

Result a unit having nearly expended all it’s budget for 24/25 already despite doing nothing claimable since 1 Jun :man_facepalming:

1 Like

we are heading towards amalgamation with the ACF…!!

Looking at the culture of the way the Army - as individuals, as units, and as a service - support the ACF, does anyone think that would be a catastrophe?

What about our relationship with the RAF over the last decade or so screams out ‘we love you, and we want to help you…’?

3 Likes

I hope so. Shared resources and halved workloads…maybe.

2 Likes

Yes if you have individuals doing the job and deserve it then they should be set for everyone and not for Region to decide.

Yes because each individual lacks self determination & inflexibility to adapt to local circumstances.

They also lack personnel as their establishment is at company/counting level not detachment level resulting in imbalance.

We aren’t far off as it is at the moment. When you think of the amount of shared buildings, there can’t be that many RAFAC only building left. It would help a lot with resourcing and structure we do both cross over, things like shooting and fieldcraft easily fall under their world. Then on top of this they they do AT & DofE which takes a lot of resource.

Downside less flying opportunities but hardly would go a miss with some. We could easily have an aviation themed opportunity in there, possible link up with Army Air Corps

1 Like

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Cadets undertaking flying/gliding training with civilian organisation