Using Cadet Ranks in Staff Emails?

Hardly as you earlier message didn’t mention anything about what I responded to. I propose that your argument sir, has run out of steam.

Anyway, I have too many cadets to try and learn all their names. The younger ones are called by surname, the SNCOs are called by their first names in smaller circles/private/the office. Every cadet calls me sir or the CO. It’s just how it goes from the day one when they are taught standards by the WO. They choose not to alter it - a sign of respect. I’m not for stepping in and correcting them by saying, “call me Dave” but I don’t pick them up in silly things either. I’ve been to Sqns who have this mentality and there is a lack of discipline. They done participate in events as there’s a lack of teamwork and respect for the staff. When the wing glitterati visit no compliments are paid. If they are on station, problems are usually traced back to their cadets. Clearly this doesn’t solely stem from what you call each other, but it’s part of the discipline plan.

Next you will suggest we don’t do drill because the RAF hardly do it and anyone who does is a pretend SWO.

You clearly don’t remember being in training then…

He’s too good to remember being trained or even to bother with SSIC mate.

Plt_Off_Prune, Of cause we should do drill, it is there for getting a body of individuals from one place to another in an orderly manner which also teaches self discipline and team work. As for the Proving my point part, we were talking about respect and discipline, why you decided to lower yourself to call me an idiot I do not understand.

MattB & daws1159, I remember basic recruit training and trade training in 1985 after that further training in 1990. JNCO training in 1994 SNCO training in 2002, multi - skilling training in 2006, train the trainer training in 2009. With several trade related courses in between. So I have no issues with being trained or doing the training. As for the SSIC bit, I wonder if you retired from the RAF as an Officer (I’m assuming you are VR(T)) and was told to go back to Cranditz to do IOC again as the first time you were there, it was not the same as what the ACO do, would you be pleased?

I know an ex regular officer of LS commission who was eager to go back and “get a refresher”. Similarly the vast majority of ex Reg SNCOs want to go back and do the ATC courses. One lad didn’t. And he was quickly found out to be a major throbber. He isn’t around anymore and we don’t miss him sadly. Talked too much about “when he was in the RAF”, sadly it didn’t wash with other people - people who have just as important jobs in Civvie street.

2 Likes

When I did my SSIC many moons ago we had 2 NCO’s on the course who had previously been SNCO’s one a Sgt and the other a WO both of whom were more than happy to learn as were 3 others who had been Airman & JNCO’s. Likewise on my OIC we had a former FS a former Fg Off who didn’t begrudge being there.

It strikes me that only a person with a closed mind would assume that a previous career would fully prepare them for something new, especially prior to doing the course. It makes me think of several ex-regulars I’ve had to deal with who seemed to be in the organisation through fear of letting go of a past life. (I firmly include my previous regional commandant in that group).

In the real world of work that I move in we are expected to be refreshed on a regualr basis, certain of my skills as often as 6 monthly as that’s the way life is and if you want to be in the club you should play by the rules. The fact that HQAC allowed you to skip SSIC staggers me as I know of at least one very senior WO who was turned away for refusing to complete it.

2 Likes

I know that WO too. I’m not closed to further training. I started as a CI and was very happy with my lot. The Army got involved and of cause they have differing rules about what a Civilian Assistant can do. Weapon training is not one. That is one of the reasons I was brought onto the team, hence I had to go back into uniform. Please do not get me wrong I was very proud of my past career and I am not one who rams my triumphs and hiccups on people. The thing that you may not be aware of is the ACO do not pay me a penny, not even travel. My employer pays me. So for the ACO to then start dictating what I have to do for no remuneration, I feel is a bit off.

If you are an adult member of staff in the ACO, you are entitled to claim travel outside of parade journeys for a large list of activities on a 1771. I’m actually wondering know if you’re even a member of staff on a squadron.

I’m an Assistant SSI. So no I’m not staff on a squadron. I hold a “purple post” that caters for the CCF Contingent. Hence an Army / School appointed post. The ACO are involved as my past service was RAF and wear blue instead of green. So payment is from School not Army, as main SSI gets the 52 days pay. The ACO will not allow me to claim a penny. If I were commissioned I could claim as it would be ACO VR(T) rules. As the CCF (RAF) do not have adult SNCO’s and I’m badged at my last rank held in the regulars. There is no mechanism to process claims from an Asst SSI (RAF) SNCO.

The 52 PTDs for an SSI should be shared between you really.

Could you not occupy one of the CCF RAF CI posts, albeit wearing uniform? Then you’d get HTD…

No, as rules state CI’s not to wear uniform. The pay side is sorted by the school. Main SSI gets the 52 days. I get a daily rate. That way I get more than he does. :slight_smile:

I always use cadet ranks and adult ranks, unless it can be informal amongst staff.

JSP 101 Defence Writing Guide is your friend here. Follow that and no one can criticise you. Even a VRT hero

I’m very late to this, but to add a bit of thought…

I normally address my senior cadets by their first name in emails, if the email is to them personally, but if its to a group or I’m referring to them, I use ranks/positions.

Keeps staff/cadet relations up whilst at the same time respecting the work they put in to get to the rank.