Using a station mess - not on Duty

All training stations but the thing with Waddington is that they are the hub for ISTAR and because of the control of Reaper emanates from there and there have been protestors why invite a seurity risk.

That’s exactly it. There’s a lot of high level intelligence and warfare ops and systems running out of there. It’s a fascinating place and when you consider there’s a whole section of the base that even its own personnel need to be granted special access to - a fence inside the fence - it makes zero sense to let all and sundry anywhere near it!

That would be similar to having a sneaky beaky Base in the middle of a woodland with a public access road across the entrance and allowing Russian “journalists” to park outside…

1 Like

What? Like BZN back in the 80’s and 90’s? Largest military transport hub in Europe and the Russian ‘journalists’ were permanently camped in a layby on the A40 with telescopic lens.

3 Likes

A long winded response - But your opening bit “entitled” is correct and “duty” is correct - however EVERY mess also has “non-entitled” which covers a raft of people/situations inc Social use and as long as you are of the appropriate rank (SNCO for WO & Senior Ranks/Senior Rates Mess and Officer for Officers Mess/Ward Room) - and also the on station bit, as someone else said, there is now a policy that all must sign official secrets act and have SC clearance…

Just like it used to be in V Force days.

I’m not saying it’s anything new, I’m just saying that it’s probably better to avoid it.

Whilst I can’t really imagine it ever coming to anything, it’s still preferred if we could avoid pointing out minor security vulnerabilities of RAF stations.

Roger