Use of Cadet Funds

I’ve always had an approach of a Sqn needs X to facilitate the basics and contingency fund… Unless saving for something specific I wouldn’t expect to see a pound more than X at year end knowing that’s its been used to improve the cadet experience… Now I’m not saying spend to your hearts content just don’t be a fund sponge for the sake of it

2 Likes

My view has been (ideally):

Have an inventory that effects what your Sqn is qualified to deliver, e.g:

Expedition equipment (tents / rucksacks / stoves), Band Equipment (full marching provision), IT (laptops / whatever to facilitate cadet access), Sports, Transportation (SOV - Minibus / 9 Seat etc).

Sufficient funds to replace all of the above in the case of total loss (extremely unlikely) plus 1 year operational costs (broadband / insurance / maintenance) for the Sqn.

From that (extremely secure) baseline any amounts above can be used to reduce any financial requirement for cadet participation in an event to a lower level.

I heavily caveat the above view that if a cadet is in need at any point in that journey then they are the priority above all else.

1 Like

That’s what insurance is for.

Surely you dont think Sqns should sit on £50k plus to do this?

Insurance doesn’t cover wear and tear.

You need to be future proof. Which I generally see as around £10K in the bank.

If a fundraising strategy affords a Sqn to have met all financial obligation (cadet hardship, equipment maintenance, etc) then I don’t see that there would be an upper limit to what a sqn would hold.

Agreed - insurance cover (I’ve known JCC content cover to be difficult to obtain due to shared use) can lower the minimum amount a Sqn might need to hold to cover outlay for “x” period and other eventuality.

Large balances held don’t necessarily mean that funds aren’t being used effectively to deliver the cadet experience.