The Staff Cadet debate.... Again

As a CI I point blank refused to wear the awful official CI polo/jumper. I would wear RAFAC branded stuff but it was my choice.

It was a particular kick in the teeth as I wanted to be a uniformed member of staff but received constant push back from Wg about “not yet” at the same time as being told to wear X rather than just appropriate clothes. We bow complain about the lack experienced staff now :roll_eyes: which is our own doing!

This 1000 times.

We have a uniform pillar and a civilian pillar, don’t want to wear a uniform then join the civ com.

Back to Staff Cadets
I like them, but OCs need to be brutal and not let it be the standard.

Staff Cadet vs CFAVs = No Home to Duty or Mileage

Staff Cadet vs Uniformed CFAVs + Padres = No Volunteer Allowance

Except Rail Warrants are standard for our big ticket items (JL and QAIC) and if you can justify it WEXOs should support for other activities too, which can make the mileage a moot point other than the fact they can’t drive to events.

Yes please :grinning:

The last 17 years have seen ample opportunity to get rid of the 18+ cadets, yet the top brass have shied away from it and people invariably allude to it being an easy way to get staff, scared stiff that unless they keep 18+ in, they won’t come back. This then gets into the real problem - what is it about becoming a member of staff that puts “people off the street” off, what makes it so unattractive, to ‘fresh blood’ as opposed to people already in the system. Crack this nut and then leave at 18 come back at 20 might not be much of a thing. Also we’d have people coming along to be staff, to the point where you could get picky, as opposed to having a pulse and not necessarily a strong one being the first requisite.

I think staff cadets are now pumped up by the organisation and staff into thinking they are more than what they are. Some really rely on them and massage their egos to make them stay. I’m not convinced people are honest enough with their 18+ about what being an 18+ cadet or an adult member of staff is really like. Although what does the ATC do / offer to make staying on past 18 something to want to do? As for the life of me I’ve not seen anything to make all the hoops worth while.

When people say about how much ‘effort’ people put into the ATC and how this seems to affect staff cadets, this is no different to people at work. Some go to work and do a bit more and some do whatever it is and go home, although everyone has days like the latter. So why expect staff cadets or CFAV to be any different? When people willingly give up their free time we need to accept this and in uniform or not.be eternally grateful. The ATC doesn’t pay the bills, it’s a distraction / escape from day to day life from staff and cadets alike, like any hobby / volunteering.

Having the non-uniformed staff option works well and has done since day one. It is ironic that it would seem the ACF effectively now has Cis, albeit they seem to be old unformed staff. If the PI system worked would they need it? Is a uniform what people coming in really want? Our local ACF Det has had 2 PIs in recent years, neither of whom have stayed beyond the training.

We’ve all had a fair bit of experience with Staff Cadets now on which to draw…
The benefits to making them proper staff instead are clear and numerous:

• Allowances/Travel & Subsistence;
  • Proper recognition of the ‘staff’ part of the job ( by 18 most of them are keen to be involved in that ‘staff’ managerial role… They’ve likely learned a lot as an SNCO and now want the opportunity to step up);
  • No opportunity for that weird situation where a Staff Cadet Sgt is in charge of an activity with an under 18 Cdt FS in their charge;
  • Parity with their peers when on joint cadet events, just to name a few.

Looking at it from the other side then, what are the benefits to staying as we are?

1 Like

With them now having to complete a BPSS, DBS, undertake safeguarding training… How far are they off of being a staff member?

I’d also say, IMHO, the advantages of them becoming staff, outway they need for them to stay as an 18+ Cdt.

Would you all trust 16 & 17 Y.O. Cadets with CWO rank?

Given that it’s current age and classification restricted, that would have to be lowered with the removal of 18+ cadets.

I feel as though the responsibilities that one can have as a 18/19 Y.O FS or CWO are much better and more appropriate (hands on cadet work) than, say, CI status (arguably a more administrative role).

I’ve appointed 17 year old CWOs (and I was one). No problems with them at all. There are 17 year olds who are more mature than some 19 year old CWOs I’ve met.
The ACF have had u18s holding WO ranks with no problems either. The ATC age limit on it is an anachronistic throw back to when we could stay until 22

Might help retention of cadets if promotions had to happen on a shorter timescale? Just thinking out loud, don’t shoot me for it.

1 Like

I’d say if you can’t trust a 17yo to be a CWO then should they have the rank of FS or even SGT?

At 15/16yo I was a lot more mature than many people my own age and above - age does not necessarily determine experience, skill set and maturity.

1 Like

The other option of course would be to bin CWO… SCC/RMC don’t go above PO or Sgt.
I can imagine how popular that would be in many quarters, but it is an option.

CWO for those older cadets was really intended as the first iteration of ‘probationary staff status’ anyway and which, if we just make them staff, may be largely redundant.

1 Like

You’ve got the time now that you’re starting younger in the ATC

Cwo is just a label.

It’s the roles and responsibilities we attatch to that label that matters.

If we shrink the timeframe cadets can be cadets in order to solve the over 18 problem the roles each rank would have would through necessity shrink and move downwards.

Maybe removing the CWO rank would be the simplistic solution?

Else we are looking at almost one promotion a year to reach CWO.

1 Like

I agree with this.

That’s about par for the course for CWO’s anyway, most are sitting their waiting to turn 18 so I don’t see removal of the age requirement as an issue.

1 Like

Well…this answers it for me

And

Standards differ between units.

A CWO on one can be out shone by a Sgt at another.

Its just a badge.

It’s a badge. Labels are generally worn in the inside! :wink:

2 Likes

:man_facepalming::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Depends how little sleep I’ve had the night before

3 Likes

You obviously don’t remember the 80s when certain labels were status symbols.

Has anyone considered how long say a cadet who joins at 12 goes into adult uniform with no break and continues to 65, will be doing uniformed service. How many of these will be bored, burnt out etc by their late 20s to mid 30s?
People should be careful what they wish for.