Thanking for saluting

Ok, HAD a commission.

2 Likes

Maybe we should all start replying with “Her Majesty Thanks You”?

5 Likes

That’s fairly good actually

1 Like

I find this quite odd that the WO/SWO would say this.

I’m a regular a Flt Lt and I normally respond with a “Thanks, how are you (Cpl, Sgt, FS, Mr/Mrs)?” I can safely say nobody has ever pulled me up!

Sounds like somebody having a poke at a CFAV more than anything else.

2 Likes

Sounds like a belter who is making a point that he has to salute you, not that he wants to. Every day I return salutes with “thanks”, “thanks mate” (if I know them), “thanks Chief”, etc. etc. Usually a “good morning/afternoon” if it’s a group of lads, but nobody cares as long as the salute is returned smartly and acknowledged. Don’t worry about it.

1 Like

Maybe the guy is just a traditionalist. I mean, technically he’s not wrong - “Thanks” isn’t correct because it implies that the person has done something for you… Hold a door open for someone - “Thanks” is a good reply. If someone said “hello” then “thank you” would be an odd response.

Or maybe as I originally suggested he’s a massive fister?

3 Likes

Or perhaps everyone is getting upset over nothing?

4 Likes

Not just a fister… a massive one.

1 Like

I was positively taught to say ‘thank you’ on OIC, and one of my army section officers is an ex-regular who always says ‘thank you’, too. But I think it’s no big deal. Most of the times I am saying thank you to a regular are when they have raised a barrier for me, so it’s not inappropriate anyway.

I used to say good morning/afternoon/evening, or thank you. With a big smile.

I’m afraid however that I disliked one BSM/WO2 so much that I used to contrive situations where he would find it as demeaning as possible to salute me - and I’d acknowledge his compliment with a Cheers, Sport.

I’m a little bit ashamed of that actually, sinking to his level, but he was a vile, bitter, horrible man, and me very publicly taking the mickey out of him reduced his ability to bully others.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.