TG6 - vacant post?

In these days of doing more with the same, shouldn’t we all find some time to do this? I mean, that’s what you usually say in response to cut backs isn’t it - or is that just reserved for a one sided argument that suits your purpose?

People still find it hard enough to get employers to ‘give’ them time off for courses and camps, what this suggestion represents is whole different ball game.

Then there is the point that we haven’t created this problem, just the people who suffer due to lack of management control. Maybe it’s time for someone at HQAC to (like many CFAV have experienced in their day job) be given the responsibility on top of whatever else they do. If there is as I get a sense of ‘one man - on job’, this needs to be dispelled. There maybe some extra salary in it, but it shouldn’t be a given. When I look at what else I and others in the department do in comparison our actual JDs, we should be getting around another £3-£4K. This week I will be woking on forecasting what we need budgetwise for next year for the areas I have budgetary responsibility and so will others in the same position. This will mean putting and (hopefully not) defending a case for the allocation. And doing this as well as my main role, which I can’t neglect.

I think if most CFAVs started to add more volunteer work to their already crammed work/household/personal relationship situations***, something would crack! Also, with most corporate companies now, the opportunities to blag “management liaison project time” (leaving a couple of hrs early to sort out MT at parent unit) wouldn’t go down very well! As glass_half_empty_2 said, HQAC need to take a hit on this & other issues.

(** Just as a low-key example, this week for me - Mon, parade night; Weds, sqn planning meeting; Thurs, parade night but travel to different sqn for L98A2 WHT; Sat, Wg shoot; Sun, assist at air show. This doesn’t count the numerous SMS inputs to update shooting logs & WHT records.)*

With regard to the TG6 post, I believe that this is still on-going within the Civil Serpent recruitment - second attempt as the first one was not successful. I looked at the “prototype” CS Job Search website, but couldn’t locate anything. Anyone got the recruitment link?

In the absence of any information from HQAC, I have messaged TG-SO1 to try & find out what on earth is happening, what the timescale is expected to be & what the planning contact/considerations are for important criteria, such as range inspections. I suggested that this “gapping” should be promulgated ACO-wide & also included a formal request for a 6 month’s extension to our MOD F905 (range safety certificate - expires in 6 months). TG-SO1 did have an auto-reply set up - out of office until 21 Sep; I will report back!

If you are talking about the SO2 Range Safety Inspectorate (RSI) MSF post, it closes on 30 Sep 15, and is still at Stage 3 - open to all CS Depts. Non-CS won’t see advert until it goes to Stage 4.

1 Like

Just spoke with TG-SO1 - email/'phone as pr ACO contact list - 01400 26XXXX (XXXX = 4 digit extension, or last 4 digits of military 'phone number).

He is covering the TG-6 vacant post - & has been for a year. However, although the TG-6 email address is accessible to him (& TG-5), my previous emails did not show, He is checking with IT about this.

He said that the Regional Commandants had been made aware of this “gapping” - he didn’t say when.

New plans are to get 8 regional air rifle range inspectors, based on the fact that they expect 20-25 new air rifles ranges per year(?) & one inspector for the 32 rim-fire ranges; they will complete the relevant Warminster range inspection course. A “rolling” plan is being put in place to cover re-survey/safety licence renewal of .22 ranges.

TG-6 post has a couple of applicants, so if all goes well, it will be filled in 3-4 months…

So guys, for those who want to move shooting forward, here’s your chance -

https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi?SID=cGFnZWFjdGlvbj12aWV3dmFjYnlqb2JsaXN0JnVzZXJzZWFyY2hjb250ZXh0PTEyNjM3NzU2JnNlYXJjaF9zbGljZV9jdXJyZW50PTEmY3NvdXJjZT1jc3FzZWFyY2gmb3duZXI9NTA3MDAwMCZvd25lcnR5cGU9ZmFpciZwYWdlY2xhc3M9Sm9icyZqb2JsaXN0X3ZpZXdfdmFjPTE0NjM2MDAmcmVxc2lnPTE0NTAyOTM3NDYtMGRkY2JlMWQ5ODk2Nzk2MzQ3ZGZhYTQ0M2QzMGQxZGE4NDJmOGE5ZA==

Closing Date: 22 Dec 15

Must be SA (B) (90) qualified…

That’ll limit the number of applicants.

To be fair, I expect

“Must be a fully qualified Range Inspector “with experience” having attended the TAS Range Inspectors Course”

Will limit the applicant pool more than needing a RMQ.

It reads both ways – “with experience” could relate to shooting/military experience & “having attended” could also relate to after being in post, do the cse… Maybe! :wink:

Otherwise, it could be a “we know who we have in mind for the job, let’s write the specifications accordingly” advert!

I suspect this is the case and I’ve heard that it’s likely to be a SASC man.

Anyone had any updates on this please?

I’m aware of who is taking this post, and should be taking it up very shortly.

Previously involved with JL and CTT