Starting a Band

The easiest place to start is to get your drummers learning some basic rudiments. You dont even need sticks to do this!

Just get them understanding the single stroke roll, the double stroke roll and how they apply in marching band music. After that you can move on to more complicated stuff.

1 Like

If you are purchasing interest out right, I would strongly encourage buying some drum pads first and see if the project gets rolling or not. (Pun intended).

A lot cheaper - and prevents the civ comm splashing out on thousands of pounds worth of kit that may be abandoned in a years time.

(On a related note - it’s probably worth pointing out that the cheapest drums on the market are normally only useful as firewood - with them being a lot harder to get a decent sound/roll on, it’s a bit of a false start!)

1 Like

Do have a word with Middx Wing Band SNCO (also my Sqn SNCO) who will not only put you in touch with squadrons with bands, staff who will help, but will certainly be a great source of support.

You will need someone who is musical who can read music and be able to teach people on different instruments.
If there is another band locally try and join with them to get the experience. Then if there is enough interest on your squadron look to go it alone.

I recently started a squadron corps of drums and I’m adamant that is the way forwards for a new squadron band. Start of small, find a competent drummer/teacher and a Drum Major then slowly build on the skills. I’m writing a band drill training programme currently, would you like me to send you it when I’m done?

Best of luck

1 Like

Yes that would be a great help. Thank you so much.

To save money on drumming pads, buy some old table tennis rackets and cut the handles off!

I’d appreciate a copy if it’s on offer.

It’s still a WIP but I expect it’ll be done by this time next month at the latest

Thanks for this advice would you be able to put me in touch with them?

my pleasure
snco.114@aircadets.org

I’d love a copy of this, were planning a corps of drums in the new year

2 of our NCOs have done something similar. We started with a few posters and we invite cadets from across the wing to weekend activities. My questions to you are: Are you musical? and how many cadets at you Sqn play instruments.

It depends on the band that you want to replicate/create,

If you are looking at the traditional marching band, drums and lyres are the easiest options for them. However you could also look at “social bands” such as jazz/rock/orchestra for functions and the like

No way! I would like to do the same now!

I would like to do the same, but I am at Cadet rank and have done my Leading.

Previously we had a set of nights where we became a sqn choir , which sadly stopped and led to nothing at all.

I thought it would be a fun idea to have a couple of nights every so often where we make some music! Obviously not everyone is a musician, which would make it tricky, but if they could have some smaller percussion items then that might work? I would want everyone to be involved.

I play the trumpet, we have some guitarists, singers, a violin, and some drummers.

Perhaps the ones who don’t play an instrument and who are not doing some percussion (with the little that we have) could perhaps sing or hit some basic percussion? We may even have a pianist.

I would be happy to buy the music myself.

Just brainstorming at the moment, But I also wonder how I would ask OC as I am a cadet and I don’t know if I am allowed/ qualified enough to run a night!

Also, do we have to be like a marching band? My idea was for it to be informal fun on squadron nights.

I would like to write a letter to OC so I don’t forget to mention anything- is this okay, and what should I say?

Definitely gaining support from your OC is vital, Music as a corps activity is dwindling in terms of funding therefore marching bands are not a requirement and to start one takes a lot of expense (in the thousands of £s) as a sqn although we have a marching band, we also have a “function band” and have performed with this on annual awards evening dinners and parade nights. The advantage to the “function band” is it is much more versatile.

I would suggest pitching the idea of a “function band” to your OC in person with the basics of how you would think it could work. If you are a cadet, you need to be speaking with your NCO team to see if they can “lobby the squadron” to see if there is an interest. Not to put you off before you start but you need to think about your market. You have a product which is the “function band” you want to do x with it (have fun/potentially perform) who is interested in potentially getting involved. If there are only 2 cadets and the dog from next door not much point but a few (over 5) you are getting somewhere. If you have one on the Squadron you will need to be in touch with your training officer (your NCO team should be able to help) who can arrange nights for practice etc.

It is also worth speaking with your Chain of Command to see if they can speak with your civilian committee to see if there is any funding available for basic equipment. That could be music books or stands etc. Also speak with your OC to see (depending on your location) if a sector band is a better solution, it might be the case you have 5 musicians raring to go at your squadron and a couple of “misfits” that want to play at another in your sector but don’t have the ability due to lack of opportunity can fit in.

Most of our sqn play an instrument, and I feel like it would be such a shame if we did not use it! I would like it to work as a fun band - but does a sector band make it more regular and official? I am sure that people from neighbouring sqns could join us on the band nights if they wanted without becoming a “sector band” . Do you have any resources or other information or examples of what you have played and where?

I run a band at my school with 6 of us in and we play in assembly every morning, so I am pretty experienced in the field, at least for a young adult like me , I would say.

I am doing GCSEs so won’t be there tomorrow night- can I send an email? It would mean that I would not forget to say anything too. Or I could give a fellow cadet who I walk past every night to take a letter to the OC? I am very keen to just make a start if you get what I mean.

I will mention basic equipment which would likely be music stands. I would need to somehow come up with a reason why the band won’t just happen once and end up as nothing! I would also need to say where we would store the stuff as our stores are super full… any suggestions?

Many Thanks

My school kindly donated me an amp and mic system. I wonder if I could ask on FB for the local area free things if anyone has any musical equipment that they would be willing to donate?

I have asked this and it seems that there would be interest. I did not explicitly say about us being a band but that I would like us to do more ‘musical activities’ on sqn

It doesn’t necessarily have to be official at sector level however by bringing in more squadrons and liaising with a Wing Staff Officer being your sector commander it is more likely to make it less of a “fun band”. Its great you have that experience and it would be something I would be highlighting to my OC if I was you, it doesn’t need staff to understand the music aspect as daft as that statement might sound, I regularly assist with the our band and have never played any instrument however my role is purely admin and Health and Safety, RAs etc also this can include arranging the event from start to finish but I have no input on the music side just the booking, and follow-up paperwork.

You have a few options depending on the squadron set-up, the band practice/playing on squadron could be part of a standard parade evening or there is always the potential if you have the opportunity with staff and building availability to open on a 3rd night/weekend morning (could be every other week) just solely for band.

We had a band store cupboard built in one of the classrooms which serves its purpose, nothing fancy but just makes the room more tidy. If it is some music stands and the basics, storage isn’t too much of an issue, again depending if you building share or not and what adjustments are allowed.

Performances wise we have used the non marching band for the annual awards night, a Christmas themed night at a local Church hall and also for RAFA too. Those are on top of our commitments to the marching band but have been very rewarding for the Squadron in bringing a night together and good for recruitment of parents onto the Squadron committee/into staff! We don’t go overboard but at the awards night there usually is a 15 minute max limit on performance. Which covers 4-5 songs and breaks up the awards and speeches quite nicely and usually brings a bit of a nice vibe to the evening

Regarding Facebook, be careful because of your age but funnily enough, I picked up from our local Facebook free site, a perfectly useable drum pedal, you do find some simple things that can be picked up for free. When you rope in your staff, when they see how good a job they you are doing, car boots can be good for picking up second hand instruments etc and they can sort out the finances.

The number 1 rule that I would recommend don’t leave yourself out of pocket money wise by doing this, its great that you have got some free kit but don’t pay for anything without your OC’s consent/them paying it for you