Stable belts for first aid

The regs say that the stable belt “may be worn as an item of routine working dress when not in the field, on exercise”. That is, on any occasion which is not on exercise in the field. So a first aid course would be perfectly acceptable. That said, I wouldn’t (and didn’t) wear my stable belt for a first aid course out of personal choice.

Hmm… That sounds suspiciously like nonsense to me. :wink:

1 Like

Ever since the ATC started FA all of the staff courses have been not been a uniform course.

When I did my BELA and DofE courses they weren’t in uniform.

1 Like

When you are where I live having school kids in school being taught about trauma first aid to deal with stabbings and gunshots you are unlikely to have first kits on you.

1 Like

Our staff FA courses have always been in uniform… Our BELA/BEL/LLA are in civvies however because that’s a very different course walking around the countryside in public.

I don’t doubt that - but that same could be said for almost every first aid incident out in “the world”. How many people carry first aid kits with them routinely?
I still maintain that it makes no difference whatsoever whether the training is delivered in civvies or uniform. It’s not going to change the way people respond.

Lets just get rid of uniform in the air cadets altogether then (just to be clear this is sarcasm).
It’s an air cadet activity, so it’d be appropriate to wear air cadet uniform during…

1 Like

I don’t see why you couldn’t wear a stable belt, however, I chose not to wear mine simply to prevent it getting dirty or damaged from rolling around on the floor. Unless it’s been stated that it isn’t allowed it’s up to you, but I’d recommend against it

quite possibly, but that is what we were told at the wing Conference… so…

When we do Activity First Aid , REC3 or Expedition Medicine courses, we always do them in AT gear. Largely this is because we’re trying to NOT make them classroom based activities and relevant to the needs of the group and in the environment they are likely to be used.

I’d like to think people aren’t going to feel too challenged in transferring these skills in to an office, a range, a crew room, a field craft, a house, or a street - and regardless of whether they are wearing a uniform, greens, civis or, for all I care, their pyjamas with a stable belt.

1 Like

This is great. Recently did AFA and we were on our feet as much as we could, really helped engage us and properly understand alot of it! Also helps people keep awake on long weekends :wink:

I really don’t get this obsession of having staff in uniform for Staff only Courses, we are all adults, it’s a training environment so rank is irrelevant so what the point?

So is everyone in the forces. I’m not hugely bothered one way or another, but I don’t really see what the issue of members of a uniformed organisation wearing uniform is.

4 Likes

But we all need to be in uniform as adults, but we are not and long may it remain that way to keep the balance.

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.