Squadron Websites... Thoughts?

Hmm Discord is interesting. I’m in a couple of groups for other volunteering and some work related stuff. They tend to get cluttered quickly. But then I’m not in the cool kids age bracket.

Teams works brilliantly for us but it’s our school system, so cadets can use it to call each other, too.

In the RAFAC system, can a CFAV start a meeting (eg in a Channel), get everyone into it, then leave it running and go and do other things? If so then you don’t need to use Discord or other unapproved platforms. The CFAV doesn’t have to leave the meeting - they can put it on hold.

Interesting proposition. Personally I never gave that a thought as we have a good presence on social media and by word of mouth and a website just doesn’t seem necessary, at squadron level anyway. However I do think a wing website would work.

Then again, that’s me speaking as a member of a relatively small sqn, maybe larger sqns would feel the benefit of it more.

We have to have 2 CFAVs on the calls at all times - safeguarding.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but a staff cadet and one staff member can meet the safeguarding rule?

3 Likes

Correct as far as I’m aware!

I think that websites for SQNs would still be a good idea for those who are not on social media or cannot access social media. Also, it is easier to navigate a website that has a navigation bar than scrolling through every post that the SQN has posted.

Recommend you change your username foe persec reason asap

6 Likes

Hi all,

Resurrecting this thread from last year.

Does anyone use the .sqn.ac web domain? Is it simple to use and is it worth it?

I understand everyone’s views on website or not from this thread but I feel a website is key for external recruitment such as for parents but I need something that is super easy to use as I am certainly no expert.

I’ve seen websites that are all outdated or poorly maintained, but I have seen various pages using Adobe Express (formerly Adobe Spark) which you can plop all your information on which is easy to scroll through. A quick google of spark adobe air cadets (which is now Adobe Express) showed these pages.

1 Like

I used http://sqn.ac/ for my old sqn’s website.
At £10 per year all in it’s basically unbeatable in terms of cost. It does take some time to setup as @DJRice hasn’t got any “air cadet” themes that can be applied straight out of the box.

1 Like

We use WordPress to maintain our site. Does Sqn.ac provide WordPress hosting? It doesn’t seem to from looking at their site

The builder for sqn.ac is very WordPress like. I can provide regular housing at a slightly increased cost as it needs more resources etc. PM me if you’d be interested :slightly_smiling_face: