Spending Money Ideas

WIs were “CFAVs authorised to teach weapons” - based on a CF style weapons course (1x weekend)

this proves dangerous in enough circumstances (Cadets messing up having been taught by “unqualified” Staff)

SASC steps in, throws out the WI course as it holds no weight and brings in the SAAI course.

SAAI is a qualification to teach weapons (2x weekends)

or at least that is how it has been explained to me.
one was an authorisation, the other a qualification - that may be inaccurate but the best way to indicate the difference in recognition the MOD offer to those titles

SASC stepped in after failings in the reserve forces (particuarly after a fatal ND involving a TA Soldier in 2003). There was nothing wrong with the WI skill per se and it certainly wasn’t dangerous from a CF point of view, we just got swept up in the failings if the TA.

We have had specified people teaching weapons training for a long time be they WI or SAAI, so the initial claim of “until recently it was just the RCO” is in fact a load of rubbish.

Anyway getting back to the thread I can attest as someone who has one at their unit that getting an Air Rifle Range is money well spent, but you do need to get your own RCO or 2 which is very East to do and only takes 1 weekend.

Good old STABs ruining it for everyone…

You can’t leave the ARAB’s out of that description.

1 Like

offering a constructive response…and back on topic.

how much money?
£500?
£5000?
£50000?

depending on the total depends on what to spend it on.

why not subsidise the cost of the next social event be it a Sqn dinner or ball? give everyone a £5/ticket saving?
or put it aside for a Christmas party?

consider the kit options you have currently that are tired.
AT (hiking/camping/watersports/cycling/climbing), Shooting, radio, models, band.

of that list what do you use which needs replacement or would benefit from an upgrade or more of?

if nothing then look at something new, but as indicated only if you have Staff willing to take that “new” activity forward.
no point spending £3000 on instruments if you have no one interested in a band. likewise getting HF radio kit at the cost of £500 will be pointless if your handheld radios are not looked after.

Off topic, but…

Whoever told you that was incorrect.

The WI Course Training Plan (CTP) was scrutinised in detail and acknowledged to be quite an impressive and comprehensive document. It was ascertained that the CTP was ratified by SMI Cording SASC on behalf of HQ SASC. The training programme was extracted from the CTP and examined. It was found to be a very workable and relevant document.

Back on topic, I would use the money to fund experiences for the cadets. Depending on the amount, you could pay for overseas camps places, fully funded IACE place, put towards a battlefield tour, buy in AT etc.

Buying big ticket items may prove to be a waste of money given the apparent desire to cut down on the number of squadron - it would be a shame to buy a flight sim, only to be closed down a month later!

1 Like

This is probably the best thing as it would get them talking to their mates and may pull in some more cadets. Manage the money properly and it could be used for several things, depending on how much it is.

We’ve got lots of tents and so on, isn’t as ‘exciting’ as we did … last weekend

All good ideas, and all within scope of the use of charitable funds, although a day out is a little iffy if it does not focus on the training ethos. Just because you have the money does not mean you have to spend it, no-one can take it away - you are not a Government body where the Exchequer can say if you dont spend it, that amount will be deducted from next years budget. Maybe better to sit upon it, until you identify something that would enhance the Cadet experience, once you have appropriately qualified staff.

My Squadron was fortunate to have stocked up with everything on the list, ticked all the boxes for qualified staff, even an ex serviceman fully weapons trained, and along came the W/Co, staff numbers went from 13 or more to ONE, and the kit has sat around doing nothing, whilst Cadets left in their droves because nothing was happening. Not sure how that was supposed to enhance the Cadet experience, but whilst CAC must be aware of the situation, no intervention.

Oh and dont forget if you want something, which is a little beyond your own funds, you can apply to the Wing Fund for a grant.

Aries

1 Like

Hmm Scrooge is alive and well.
A day out is a social event, which is well within the remit of the CWC to organise and fits within the training side as you will ask NCOs to organise and round up cadets. Plus what’s wrong with teenagers doing something fun, does it always have to have a training element. They get that 5 days a week and some in school.

Sitting on money unless it is ring-fenced for a specific large ticket item will be questioned. I seem to remember that if a squadron had more than £10K sitting around, it would be questioned. I also seem to recall some squadrons were given money in trust or bequeathed, but it was specified in the will or instructions relating to the trust, so not much could be done.

Hmm

I’ve not heard this and spent 8 years on a Sqn with ~£25k in its accounts throughout that time
Ok £12k was ring fenced to replace the existing SOV when it gave up but i never heard the total being questioned

It might have been more to the point of why have all that money (unless is being ring fenced) and not do anything with it.
We got close, £8K, but then spent the best part of £4K on IT bits.

I thought it was reasonable in a not for profit organisation which has no costs such as staff, buildings and utilities to accrue more than that. We’ve seen IT take a disproportionate chunks money, given that IT firms build in obsolescence and lack of easy and or cost effective repairability, so you have to buy new every few years.

agreed - but only £12k was ring fenced…so what was the other ~£12k sitting in the account for?

What frustrated me was the CWC were also steadfast in any social event had to make a profit. Whatever excuse for a disco, be it s Spring Ball, Halloween Party or Christmas disco the event couldn’t be seen to make a loss…with £12k going spare I was never asking to blow it all, but if the event cost the Unit £200 so what?!

Surely though with a social event, at most, cadets pay a nominal fee, which can be refunded later.

Running events for a profit is OKish. But when I’ve looked into dinners, to run at a profit the ticket price for below average food works out far too much, even just to cover costs.

Oh absolutely ticket sales is part of recovering cost.
However with today’s youth making a commitment in time for the CWC to not get panicky rarely occurred.

Several events were cancelled because 4-6 weeks before the date not enough ticket sales had sold - which made the following event harder to get excited about for fear of it being cancelled.

Had this been a dinner, with a larger event costs and bigger commitments I could understand – but these were all discos.

It annoyed me each time there was a cancellation simply because there was a fear the accounts would be short £200-300 and thus the event would “cost” the Squadron. When there is £12k sitting doing nothing, not ear-marked or ring fenced for a project or intention why keep such a tight grip on £200?
As the event got closer ticket sales would increase and no doubt the £200 shortfall in ticket sales becomes £30 but the CWC never saw it that way. It had to be “in profit” a month before the event else they’d cancel in time to recover deposits on venue and entertainment.

Perhaps someone more clued up on CWC policy and how/where money can be spent – perhaps a Social event doesn’t count as a valid expense?

This is very off topic now…

1 Like

We get £200 twice a year from The Jack Petchey Fund. We bought a 4’ x 2’ storage shed, pub style picnic benches, a battery drill, a hoover, camping stoves, IT bits… Then the rules changed and the spending must benefit all the cadets (I thought a hoover was a great training tool) so now we pay for a dining in night (take away food from the local Toby carvery) and a Christmas party.
We still have the material items, and use them all.