Should CIs be an option for New Staff

This is probably going to need a thread split… Classification training of the future

3 Likes

How about an actual STEM syllabus with equipment and projects provided?

Eddie’s the winter months are the months for Fieldcraft, Radio, Cyber.

We only run the syllabus for 1 night per week for 3 months of the year anyway (not counting First Class).

As I have endlessly said, Basic Navigation with Map and Compass is hopelessly out of date and we should be looking to use NNAS instead. Airmanship is also dramatically out dated.

Bin the academic lessons and use the PTS instead.

1 Like

During my interview for an aviation maintenance apprenticeship, the bulk of it was discussing my time in the ATC, and what I had learnt in my classification training.

I could tell them how a piston engine and a Jet engine worked already, and was able to discuss theory of flight (what flaps did, what controls the direction of an aircraft etc). Out of 150 applicants, I was one of 5 mechs selected!

2 Likes

To add to that, 90% of what I was taught, was by Civilian Instructors!

People who didn’t want the uniform, but had a wealth of knowledge outside the organisation.

1 Like

It would be great if there was some kind of formal training available in the more technical subjects. Or at the very least decent teaching material and instructor notes.

CFAVs can teach drill just by picking up the book which is one of the main reasons for so many variations between squadrons, wings and regions :sweat_smile:

There used to be… Cost too much/RAF had no time

Drop OASC and save money there.

2 Likes

Going back to the age limit thing. I see from twatter that the ACF are scrapping upper age limits for CFAVs. Maybe HQAC are watching to see how it goes.

1 Like

Link please?

https://twitter.com/ArmyCdtsINSPIRE/status/1335159370146062338?s=19

1 Like

UPPER age limit!!!

Interesting to see a RAFAC Wg Cdr commenting on that…

Not what I thought you meant when you said dropping the age limit!

Sorry about that. Was a throw back to further up the chain where people were saying we can’t get rid of CIs because we don’t let oldies go into uniform.

2 Likes

Although one well known for being outspoken, especially on twitter…

2 Likes

And his truly dreadful dad jokes

2 Likes

In my experience, the quality of cadet training can vary considerably. Not criticising or blaming individual CFAVs.

And some CI’s stay out of uniform because there’s no opton to go into it. Try being over 65. Doesn’t matter how knowledgeable , how fit, or how enthusiastic you are … you’re too old.

Not talking about uniformed staff ‘retiring’, that’s another silly glass ceiling.

Please challenge this, I would happily raise this directly with the CAC & Higher if you were on my Squadron.

I refuse to accept the rules when they are barriers and benefit no one.

1 Like

^this.