Saluting other Nations officers

shouldn’t have happened.

1 Like

I was there, I did not see anybody salute. The cadets marched up came to attention and then had a slightly uncomfortable pause when they would normally salute, then received a trophy, smile for photograph step one pace backwards and about turn and march off. No salutes either arriving or departing.

Ah right - that’s the bit I was referring to, when the cadets were receiving the awards. I could have swore there were at least some salutes because one of our instructors commented but if not, I’ll wind my neck in.

People fall into autopilot sometimes. No biggie.

I’ve never really understood why RAF Officers expect a salute when they are in civvies, when no one else in the military does. In the RN officers are only saluted if they are in uniform and wearing headdress, as with the person offering the salute. I believe it is the same rule for the army.

nope, in the Army its the same as the RAF - if you know someone is an officer/more senior Officer, and you are wearing a hat, you salute them whether they are hatless, in civvies, in drag or clad only in roll mats.

this of course gives one the opportunity to practice evermore elaborate salutes and evermore effusive greetings.

1 Like

there is also the “rule” that an Officer’s wife is saluted (although I am not sure if it is still in place - does one also salute an Officer’s husband too?)

There is also the unwritten rule that holders of the Victoria Cross and I suspect the George Cross are saluted, from the CDS downwards. Same in the USA in that holders of the Congressional Medal of Honour are saluted by all ranks.

Absolutely not. The wife does not hold the commission. If she’s in the car when the officer is, the officer is saluted not her. Works the same with husbands.

1 Like

box-ticking yob.

the CO’s wife/husband/other person of equal virtue gets a salute out of courtesy. i bet you wear denim in the Mess as well.

#shudder #appalled #neverseenanythinglikeitinallmylife #placehasgonetothedogs

I believe that angus was being sarcastic, rather than a personal attack

If that’s the case, I retract my comment.
Not very good at gauging sarcasm, especially over a computer.

You also salute a car carrying a dead body in a wooden box.

4 Likes

And lizards, don’t forget the lizards.

1 Like

In UK we salute “Queens’ Commission” wither that person is in uniform or known [by you ] to be “commissioned”. Any other “recognizable” “Officer” from another Nation, it’s a matter of courtesy, to salute them. :wink:

Only Chief Warrant Officers. So WO2 through WO5.