Saluting at Remembrance Parade

One that’s in AP818 would be good :wink:

Ok… so none of the above provides any definitive clarification.

For an outdoor parade…

If the following happens is it acceptable?

Officers and WOs.

Thanks.

Need something definitive.

Our boss did colour party stuff when he was in the RAF and he says we (warrant officers and officers only) should:

Outside…

Salute from first note of last post, through the 2 min silence and up to the first note of the reveille. And then again from first note of national anthem to the last.

In church, pop headdress on before national anthem and salute as above.

1 Like

Salute for the Last Post, stand at the attention head bowed for The Silence, head comes up at Reveille and salute again for the National Anthem. As said Officers and WOs is what I was told many years ago by my first Sqn Cdr and SWO and that’s what I do and what I’ve told others to do.
What we shouldn’t get into is the actual time the Last Post is played and do you do The Silence before or after,.

1 Like

Completely agree, and its more stylish. Officers and warrant officers only.

Oh, we should! Last Post takes 1:20, start it at 10:58:40.

We allow +/- 15 seconds here and we’ve not missed it yet!

Bassicly, if you want to salute then do.

This is what 818 says. Well done sir!

AP818: Part 2, Chapter 1, Para 45:

Personnel are to conform to local custom with regards to courtesy salutes at ceremonies at other memorials. The general rule is that uniformed officers and warrant officers are to salute when the Last Post is played, but not during the Reveille. Other ranks are to stand to Attention throughout.

I read that as salute until the first note of reveille

In the same way as the banner

2 Likes

I hear that if we write it wrong three times @AlexCorbin will appear…

5 Likes

It’s not difficult… There’s a whole section in 818 about this :joy:

Feel free to clarify

This place gets more like FB every day…everyone is an expert lol.

And yet I read it as ‘salute while the Last Post is played’.

We were 5 seconds early today - I was happy.

1 Like

I’ve worked closely on several occasions with the recent former Royal Navy State Ceremonial Training Officer. On every parade that he has organised we’ve commenced the salute on the first note of last post, and discontinued when the last note has finished.

His credentials are good enough for me, so that’s what I always advise too.

4 Likes